2022 Fall seed prices

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
I just picked up my seed for my fall plots. I’ve really only got one local source so the prices are what I have to pay regardless. I thought it was worth sharing what things are going for here. This is from the Valley Park Grain Elevator in St. Louis County, Missouri (East central Missouri).

Cereal Rye - $28.50 per 50 lb bag x 3 = $85.50
Jerry Oats - $34.50 per 50 lb bag x 2 = $69.00
Ladino clover - $5.49 per pound x 4 = $21.96
Forage Radish - $3.50 per pound x 5 = #17.50
Medium Red Clover - $4.25 per pound x 10 = #42.50

I paid $22.50 per 50# baf of WR, and urea 46-0-0 I paid $32.99 per 50# bag. I didnt pay attention to how much the red clover, turnips, radish, and chicory cost. NW Wisconsin.

$20/bushel for WR this weekend. Was $12/bush last year.

I just picked up my seed for my fall plots. I’ve really only got one local source so the prices are what I have to pay regardless. I thought it was worth sharing what things are going for here. This is from the Valley Park Grain Elevator in St. Louis County, Missouri (East central Missouri).

Cereal Rye - $28.50 per 50 lb bag x 3 = $85.50
Jerry Oats - $34.50 per 50 lb bag x 2 = $69.00
Ladino clover - $5.49 per pound x 4 = $21.96
Forage Radish - $3.50 per pound x 5 = #17.50
Medium Red Clover - $4.25 per pound x 10 = #42.50
For a somewhat local comparison, this is what I spent at the St. Peters Co-op:

Cereal Rye: $25.90/50lb bag
Forage Oats: $40/50lb bag (bob oats are a little less)
Ladino Clover: $5.25/lb
Crimson: $2.40/lb
Austrian Winter Peas: $.90/lb
Purple Top: $2.50/lb
Forage Rape: $1.10/lb

For a somewhat local comparison, this is what I spent at the St. Peters Co-op:

Cereal Rye: $25.90/50lb bag
Forage Oats: $40/50lb bag (bob oats are a little less)
Ladino Clover: $5.25/lb
Crimson: $2.40/lb
Austrian Winter Peas: $.90/lb
Purple Top: $2.50/lb
Forage Rape: $1.10/lb
Didn’t realize there was a place in St. Peter’s. Good to know! I live in Eureka , business is in Ellisville, and property is in Cuba.

$18 for 50 lb bag cereal rye
$13.50 for 50 lb bag winter wheat.

This is non-certified seed

Saturday I paid
$27.50 for 50 lbs rye
$30.00 for 50 lbs buck forage oats.

both up about $10 a bag from last year. got spoiled last year. got a couple bags of leftover forage oats from tractor supply for $11 a bag. Couldn't find any this winter.

I paid $28/bu for rye. Don't recall the small seeds. I had a bunch left over and a bunch where I just ordered a few lbs of each from GC.

I bought 50# of Durana white clover at $4.36 a # I’m going to overseed my winter rye plots with it this fall and let them go for several years until the Durana dies out if it does may not will see. At the one farm I’m row cropping 150 acres now so fooling with the one small kill plot is much lower on my todo list than it used to be.

$17/50 lbs rye in northern Indiana

I paid $16.19 for a 50 lb bag of wheat this week.

Wait don’t complain, celebrate!

Last year rye was $15/50lbs. Three weeks ago it was $22.50. Today it’s $21.75. The government saved us all .75 cents. They’re doing great, let’s re-elect them all.

Just called my local seed place (North Central PA)..WR is 15$ (12$ last year), oats are 22$ (I think they were 15$ last year) and triticale is 18$ (13$ last year)...glad I don't have too much grain to do...

Last edited:
NW Wisconsin also

WR = $28/bu
Seed Oats = $24 / bu
BOB clover = crazy$ won’t do that again
Various brassicas = about $4.50 per pound
Winter peas = $43/50#
5-14-42 = $34 / 50#
Urea = $38 / 50#
AG lime = $40 / ton

5B046085-847C-4E6C-BC8C-B54D52E8216B.png

I just went into the coop land chatted with the manager last week to see if they had any leftover WR from last year. He sold it to me for $12.50 a 50lb bag.

Didn’t realize there was a place in St. Peter’s. Good to know! I live in Eureka , business is in Ellisville, and property is in Cuba.
North side of 70 in "Old town". Just behind the QT on the right side. If you make the drive go across the street to Hobo's at the American Legion. Fantastic fried chicken!

I keep a running log of habitat/food plot expenses each year. I will share it with you...but please don't show it to Elaine - LOL. I purchase most of my seed from 2 local ag suppliers - 1 in Michigan and 1 in Wisconsin. Some seed I did have to purchase on-line so there was some shipping expense there.

The big savings for me this year was that I only purchased fertilizer for my lawn and apple/crabapple trees. 7th year of no-tll planting - first year of no synthetic fertilizers. I also purchased a several year supply of Glyphosate last November when I got wind of pending price increases. I paid $65/2.5 gall then vs $143/2.5 gal locally now.

The wheat and rye I bought this year was cleaned seed. It was considerably more than the $15.50/bag I paid for rye last year, but I also got a lot of weed seed in my rye last year.

IMG_8997.jpg

The new hoses/fittings for the cultivator was for the 12' vibra shank cultivator which has been sitting idle since I purchased my no-till drill. I decided to sell it but when I hooked up to it to move it, I blew a hydraulic hose so I had to buy new ones in order to sell it. Should have just removed the cylinder and hoses 7 years ago and stored them in the barn so the sun wouldn't have dry rotted them.

I paid $17.05 a bushel for rye and $3.35 a pound for medium red clover at a local coop today.