All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Kentucky Rut

TreesuitSC

5 year old buck +
Not sure where to post this. Anyone from Kentucky have any info on the rut? We are leaving this week for our second trip to KY. Last year we had a blast but missed the rut hunted 10/24 - 10/28. Did not see any activity. Our trip this year will run along the gun season. 11/9 - 11/15. Have we missed it again?

So awesome to see different habitat from what I am used to. I was really impressed with the Black Walnut trees. They were everywhere. Also seen several Chinese Chestnut trees that had dropped a lot of nuts. (First time seeing in the wild).

Chasing should be going on now. Next week will be cranking, normally.

The following in how the rut works in South Central KY. Western KY will be a little different. Moon phase has nothing to do with the rut, but weather can make a difference in the intensity at various times. Hunting pressure can also make a difference in what you see from the stand. However, regardless of what you may see, this is the way it happens each and every year - guaranteed.

Rut as a whole (October 5 through January 5): It begins slow and ends slow. It's like a modified Bell Curve with almost nothing at each end and peaks somewhere in between. But, it's possible to see rutting activity anywhere within this time range.

Crazy Week (November 3-9): This is the highest intensity of buck movement. You are likely to see anything. This is the most likely time to see a buck you have never seen before. There is no better time to bow hunt in KY. And, this is happening just before the gun opener.

Peak of Crazy Week (November 8): Or either day on each side of it. Magic!

Peak Lockdown (November 13-17): A buck and doe can lock down at any time during the rut, and breeding can happen at any time. But this is the highest point of breeding activity. Therefore, buck sightings may be slower during this time. Also, by now the big ones are well aware that hunting season is in.

Second Peak of the Rut (December 12-19): Notice I didn't say "Second Rut." I said "Second Peak of the Rut." There is a difference. The rut is happening during the whole period I mentioned first in this post. But there are two peaks. The first is in November and the second one is 30 days later in December. Does that didn't get bred the first time may come back in, and yearling fawns may be bred as well. Bucks may be less wary now than they were in gun season. They sense that hunter activity is less. They are also eating a lot, trying to gain back some weight, so food sources are important now.

Good luck

Chasing should be going on now. Next week will be cranking, normally.
Thank you! Sounds real good!

The following in how the rut works in South Central KY. Western KY will be a little different. Moon phase has nothing to do with the rut, but weather can make a difference in the intensity at various times. Hunting pressure can also make a difference in what you see from the stand. However, regardless of what you may see, this is the way it happens each and every year - guaranteed.

Rut as a whole (October 5 through January 5): It begins slow and ends slow. It's like a modified Bell Curve with almost nothing at each end and peaks somewhere in between. But, it's possible to see rutting activity anywhere within this time range.

Crazy Week (November 3-9): This is the highest intensity of buck movement. You are likely to see anything. This is the most likely time to see a buck you have never seen before. There is no better time to bow hunt in KY. And, this is happening just before the gun opener.

Peak of Crazy Week (November 8): Or either day on each side of it. Magic!

Peak Lockdown (November 13-17): A buck and doe can lock down at any time during the rut, and breeding can happen at any time. But this is the highest point of breeding activity. Therefore, buck sightings may be slower during this time. Also, by now the big ones are well aware that hunting season is in.

Second Peak of the Rut (December 12-19): Notice I didn't say "Second Rut." I said "Second Peak of the Rut." There is a difference. The rut is happening during the whole period I mentioned first in this post. But there are two peaks. The first is in November and the second one is 30 days later in December. Does that didn't get bred the first time may come back in, and yearling fawns may be bred as well. Bucks may be less wary now than they were in gun season. They sense that hunter activity is less. They are also eating a lot, trying to gain back some weight, so food sources are important now.

Good luck
Thank you very much! Really excited.