2 big persimmons two years after topworking

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
These were around 4 inch DBH persimmons that I topworked two years ago. Both had a lot of fruit the first year after topworking.

The first one is already healed completely over. The second has a little way to go.

2UJZ1Ry.jpg

5eXj96Z.jpg

Edit - I now believe 3 years instead of 2.

Last edited:
Great growth there did you use known cultivars.

Very nice Steve. I have several, but I wrote their names on plastic tags and didn't think to freshen them up.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Great growth there did you use known cultivars.
Yes. These were both known cultivars. I’ve got more to do this spring and have more known cultivars on order. First year great growth. Next year nice crop. Third year was our late freeze that wiped out everything. That was last year.

Very nice Steve. I have several, but I wrote their names on plastic tags and didn't think to freshen them up.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I understand. I’m trying to do better with tagging too. I’m now using metal tags.

I understand. I’m trying to do better with tagging too. I’m now using metal tags.

Where are you getting persimmon scion from if you don’t min me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These were around 4 inch DBH persimmons that I topworked two years ago. Both had a lot of fruit the first year after topworking.

The first one is already healed completely over. The second has a little way to go.

2UJZ1Ry.jpg

5eXj96Z.jpg

Edit - I now believe 3 years instead of 2.

That is fantastic growth even for 3 years! I bark grafted quite a few persimmons. Most had their first fruit in the third leaf after grafting. Only one of all the persimmons I've grafted had fruit in the 2nd leaf after grafting. Congrats!

Thanks,

Jack

That is fantastic growth even for 3 years! I bark grafted quite a few persimmons. Most had their first fruit in the third leaf after grafting. Only one of all the persimmons I've grafted had fruit in the 2nd leaf after grafting. Congrats!

Thanks,

Jack
Thanks. I’ve noticed that in some years the growth is much faster than others. I did some apples and two persimmons last spring and the first year growth was much slower.

Where are you getting persimmon scion from if you don’t min me asking?

Those came from a friend. This year I ordered from Red Fern farm in Iowa. He is already sold out in some varieties. England Orchard has scions but he told me that he has already cut his. I want my scions to be fresher than that. The Red Fern guy said he would wait much later to cut - like late March.

Thanks. I’ve noticed that in some years the growth is much faster than others. I did some apples and two persimmons last spring and the first year growth was much slower.

Another thing I've noticed is the specific variety scions compatibility with the root stock and its characteristics. I took scions from a native female tree on my farm and bark grafted them to native male trees. I also got named variety scions and traded native persimmon scions with folks from all over the country. The vegetative growth on my local native female to male dwarfed the others, but it took those trees 5 or 6 years to produce persimmons. Some of the other combinations had much less vegetative growth and produced more persimmons sooner. In the long run, I think the local native to native trees will be the largest and produce the most persimmons simply because they will have more area to produce them. However, the other combinations will spread out the time persimmons are falling to the ground on my place.

Thanks,

Jack

Another thing I've noticed is the specific variety scions compatibility with the root stock and its characteristics. I took scions from a native female tree on my farm and bark grafted them to native male trees. I also got named variety scions and traded native persimmon scions with folks from all over the country. The vegetative growth on my local native female to male dwarfed the others, but it took those trees 5 or 6 years to produce persimmons. Some of the other combinations had much less vegetative growth and produced more persimmons sooner. In the long run, I think the local native to native trees will be the largest and produce the most persimmons simply because they will have more area to produce them. However, the other combinations will spread out the time persimmons are falling to the ground on my place.

Thanks,

Jack
The ones I got from dogdoc still haven’t produced but the trees are growing good. I think it is just a matter of time.

The ones I got from dogdoc still haven’t produced but the trees are growing good. I think it is just a matter of time.
I'm in the same boat with some trees with traded scions. The named varieties produced pretty quickly but most drop persimmon on the early side and the vegetative growth has been slow. I got some scions from an old doctor in Mississippi that has been grafting persimmons for deer for years. He sent me some that are supposed to drop in Dec, some in Jan, and some in Feb. I haven't seen much production and growth has been slow.

I wonder if some of the compatibility has to do with the differences in number of chromosomes between southern and northern persimmons. The grafts do take for me, but growth has been all over the place.

Thanks,

Jack

Those came from a friend. This year I ordered from Red Fern farm in Iowa. He is already sold out in some varieties. England Orchard has scions but he told me that he has already cut his. I want my scions to be fresher than that. The Red Fern guy said he would wait much later to cut - like late March.

Thanks I had some sent to me from a guy on the Qdma forum went by tick rancher. Had several of those make it. I didn’t do a good job marking them after I grafted them but still know a few of them. I will be looking at doing a few more trees next year and will give them a look.

I'm in the same boat with some trees with traded scions. The named varieties produced pretty quickly but most drop persimmon on the early side and the vegetative growth has been slow. I got some scions from an old doctor in Mississippi that has been grafting persimmons for deer for years. He sent me some that are supposed to drop in Dec, some in Jan, and some in Feb. I haven't seen much production and growth has been slow.

I wonder if some of the compatibility has to do with the differences in number of chromosomes between southern and northern persimmons. The grafts do take for me, but growth has been all over the place.

Thanks,

Jack

i don’t think the chromosome difference is it. Some of The 90s on my 60s have really taken off fast.

i don’t think the chromosome difference is it. Some of The 90s on my 60s have really taken off fast.

You could be right. Maybe there is just that much variability between persimmons. I never tried to correlate it with chromosome count. All of my native trees are 60s. I know some of the commercial varieties are 90s but I don't know the chromosome count for traded scions.

Another factor, since I'm grafting to existing rootstock is the vigor of the individual tree and the micro environment. Unlike planted trees, my rootstock grows where it decides to grow.

Thanks,

Jack

Wow, that's some great growth in a short amount of time! I'm much less experienced, but to me it seems like there's a high degree of variability between trees. I know I planted 100 a few years ago. Some are 8 feet tall and others look the same as the day I put them in the ground. A late summer drought 2 years ago followed by late freezes last Spring didn't help. Being the 3rd year, I'm hoping this is the year they all start taking off. I'm now thinking it might make sense for me to graft some of the faster growing ones this year as a learning experience for the others in the future.