1st food plot was a success

Peeps

5 year old buck +
Last fall I planted my first ever food plot after getting my land. I planted winter rye and it was a huge success. The deer hammered it all fall. I think I am going to go with WR again this fall to keep building up my sandy soil. Any suggestions on what to do with it this spring and early summer. I was thinking of frost seeding chicory into it next week with poss some clover but I am open to all suggestions. My land is in northern WI.

What are you looking to do with the spring planted plot? Just as ground cover and an OM source until you get your fall plots in? To add N and OM for your fall plots? To feed lactating does and fawns? Some mixture of the above?

Broadcast clover/chicory and let the rye grow to maturity then mow and disc in August to incorporate free rye seed.

Let it grow to seed and lightly disc it in early july. Broadcast 2 pound brassicas/ acre.

What are you looking to do with the spring planted plot? Just as ground cover and an OM source until you get your fall plots in? To add N and OM for your fall plots? To feed lactating does and fawns? Some mixture of the above?
A mixture of the above but I for sure want to give the deer something to munch on as our area is all forest with no ag fields. I think I'll broadcast clover and chicory then disc/till it all in green just before planting in the late summer. I want to spread some pel lime sometime this spring too. Is it ok to just broadcast the lime on top or does it have to be worked in?

That's great to hear peeps. I am going to be food plotting for the first time this summer. Going with WR and Buckwheat this year. Hoping to enjoy some success as you did.

I would tend to agree with Riggs and dipper, if you are going with rye again this fall, let it go to seed and then disc it shallow to "plant" your fall rye crop. We had been doing this for many years, as rye was one of the only things that would do well on our sand and it was free seed, so one had to add a lot less the following fall. As to the clover and chicory, those will both do well frost seeded into the rye. I would recommend a medium red clover frost seeded at between 5-8 lbs per acre. The chicory, I might go light on that, as the seed is fairly expensive to be plowing under in a few months. If you were trying to establish a perennial plot such as a white clover/chicory mix that you were going to leave stand for multiple years, I would use the recommended amount of around 4-6 lbs/ac, but for your purpose, 2-3 lbs/ac should suffice.

If you are looking for nutritious feed for the the deer short term, one other thing I might try, would be some field peas, AWP's, or soybeans, but it would have to wait a few more weeks after the chance of frost has passed. I know they don't ideally top seed well, but some will definitely take if it gets under the growing thatch of rye, clover, and chicory. Make sure you do it when some upcoming heavy rains are in the forecast, as beans and peas typically take 3-4 times more water for germination than cereal grains like rye. I would do this only if I could get some leftover seed, or I could get the seed VERY CHEAP, as germination % will be lower than if you could incorporate the seed into the soil, the deer will hammer it anyway, and you will likely kill whatever is left when you disc for the fall planting as well. In addition to being ice cream to help feed the deer, it will help put some extra N back into the soil along with the clover.

That's great to hear peeps. I am going to be food plotting for the first time this summer. Going with WR and Buckwheat this year. Hoping to enjoy some success as you did.
Great combo Natty! Keep in mind that you can frost seed the rye early to get it started and come back after all threat of frost has past and broadcast the BW into the growing rye. Good luck!

Great combo Natty! Keep in mind that you can frost seed the rye early to get it started and come back after all threat of frost has past and broadcast the BW into the growing rye. Good luck!

Thanks wiscwhip. Good tip!

Hey Wiscwhip, I planted buckwheat last year on your recommendation for my sandy soil, it did well. If I just broadcast it, as you suggest above what rate would you suggest? I thought buckwheat had to be covered by a bit of soil?

thanks

General guidelines for buckwheat range from 40lbs/ac(for the smallest seeded varieties) on up to 50-60lbs/ac for the normal size seeds. This rate is assuming the crop is drilled and recommendations for broadcasting can call for double the drilled amount. I have never planted it at more than 50lbs/ac(broadcast) myself and I was happy with the results at that rate. If a guy wanted a very thick smother crop and a quick canopy to shade out weeds and conserve soil moisture, one could seed it at 70-80lbs/ac. It likes to be mixed in with a bit of topsoil, but it doesn't have to be deep by any means. Simply dragging over it with a bedspring or piece of chain link fence will usually suffice. It could be rolled in with a cultipacker as well, but make sure you don't have rock hard, crusted soil because it could cause the seeds to crack or fracture under the weight of the packer which would affect germination. Most likely in Natty's situation, a cultipacker would work fine. Rolling it over the established rye shouldn't be an issue. The biggest detriment to leaving it lay on top is that much of it could be eaten by turkeys and other birds, if you think you will have this issue, the double 80-100lbs/ac rate wouldn't be unheard of.

I just got up to my cabin. Plot is about 1/2 covered in a lil snow still. Tomorrow morning I am planning on spreading my clover and chicory seed mix on the plot. I also brought up 500 lbs of pel lime to spread after the seed is down. Should be a good morning. Then it's riding some wheelers with my son and chunking up trees that I felled in the area I opened up for my new orchard. Oh ya wife wants the cabin vacuumed too.

I just got up to my cabin. Plot is about 1/2 covered in a lil snow still. Tomorrow morning I am planning on spreading my clover and chicory seed mix on the plot. I also brought up 500 lbs of pel lime to spread after the seed is down. Should be a good morning. Then it's riding some wheelers with my son and chunking up trees that I felled in the area I opened up for my new orchard. Oh ya wife wants the cabin vacuumed too.
Sounds like a great day Peeps, made even better by the fact that you will be spending it with your boy! Pics would be a bonus!;) Keep in mind as well that many guys have been known to mix their small seed in with their pell lime and just spread once. Might be something to think about. That would give you plenty of extra time to "vacuum the cabin"!;):D

image.jpg We also lowered our flag at the cabin in honor of WI State Trooper Casper who made the ultimate sacrifice on Tuesday. R.I.P. brother we'll take it from here.

I got the seed down right away this morning. I'm going to wait to spread the lime until after I get a push spreader up here tonight as it is too much for my bag spreader . Did a trip around the land exploring with my son and now it is snowing and really windy. I'll take some pics later this week.

The seed is down and the lime is spread. I'm going to wait till the frost leaves to spread any fertilizer. Spreading the lime was interesting. My spreader broke right away so I spread a 1000 lbs of lime by hand. I would hold a 50 lb bag in one arm and reach in with my other hand and throw handfuls. It was a good workout. Had 13 deer in the other night working around the plot munching on any green they could find and also sucking my bird feeders down. Here's a pic of part of the plot. Ground is still mostly frozen except the very top in the afternoons.

Dang pic won't upload. Says file is too big.