Zestar

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I just tried my first fresh-picked Zestar this afternoon. I got a bag from a local Mennonite orchard along with a batch of peaches. Zestar is a darn good apple !! I've read of you guys on here talking about them and always wondered what they were like. I'd say, sweet, tart, tingle-on-the-tongue tang and very juicy & crisp. Great eater fresh.

Now I know what you guys have been raving about. Now ………... can I find space for a tree or 2 ??

This is a must!

Yes, Zestar is the best early apple I've tasted. Much better than Lodi.
For a unique apple, fairly early (early September here) try Scarlet Surprise.
Red flesh varies a bit from year to year. Also, taste improves as tree gets older.

Just tried some local ones here as well and they were awesome. If the trees grow good and are disease resistant I think I’m planting one in the spring. I’m going to dig up one of my goldrush here at the house(have 2) bc of the CAR and put a zestar or another liberty in its place

Zester! gets scab pretty bad if not sprayed.

Off year for my Zestar and I only had about five apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What rootstocks do you all like for zestars? & why

What rootstocks do you all like for zestars? & why
Im running with standard RS. Specifically Russian rootstock "Antonovka" super hardy and good growth rate, makes for a nice tree - nice big tree... will require a bit more pruning year to year but they have fared well through our winters.

https://stlawrencenurseries.com/pages/tree-information has some good thoughts on why this is a good choice