Your go to apple

I did not select the varieties of apples planted in the 20+yr old orchard I now own. Clearly the fujis in my orchard are a favorite of deer. Fujis will hang on the trees here in So MD thru Dec. I do stick to a rigorous spraying schedule to control scab, the summer rots, fireblight, etc...
This pic taken near the end of Dec says a lot...
23Dec08_Buck1a-1.jpg

-fsh

I did not select the varieties of apples planted in the 20+yr old orchard I now own. Clearly the fujis in my orchard are a favorite of deer. Fujis will hang on the trees here in So MD thru Dec. I do stick to a rigorous spraying schedule to control scab, the summer rots, fireblight, etc...
This pic taken near the end of Dec says a lot...
23Dec08_Buck1a-1.jpg

-fsh

I never thought about Fuji's for deer, but ya regular Fuji's would be a good late hanger and I bet the deer would love that sweet apple! FSH, I planted a tall spindle orchard out in my back field in back of the house, and put in 100 Daybreak Fuji's. They mature in mid September. A lot earlier than regular Fuji's. ..... Great pic!

Good to hear from you Maya, it's been a while.
-fsh

I never thought about Fuji's for deer, but ya regular Fuji's would be a good late hanger and I bet the deer would love that sweet apple! FSH, I planted a tall spindle orchard out in my back field in back of the house, and put in 100 Daybreak Fuji's. They mature in mid September. A lot earlier than regular Fuji's. ..... Great pic!

I have whats called Fuji Red Sport 2, I wonder what that compares to in the Fuji family.

I have whats called Fuji Red Sport 2, I wonder what that compares to in the Fuji family.
It's just a nurseries way of promoting one specific trait in whatever variety and trademarking it. This Daybreak Fuji is trademarked by ACN. It matures a few weeks ahead of traditional Fujis. This may or may not be desireable for growers, but they gambled on it to see if they can catch more of the market. I bought a hundred because I didn't want anything that matures to late, so I can get out in the woods and hunt! ;) ACN promotes their Rogers Red Mac. People think an apple that is more red is more appealing, and more mature the redder it is. So, they found this one tree somewhere that had redder traits, trademarked it and grafted and promoted it.

There are several different Fujis, I think ACN has 2-3 different Fujis, 5-6 different Macs and the same with Galas. Stark and others do the same with popular varieties. I've got 3 different Macs, and 2 different Galas. They all taste pretty much the same, but they may look a little different and mature at different dates.

My fuji is from Grin, mostly because I didn't have a fuji yet, no other reason. LOL!

For the southern Midwest, I have grown to really like the Arkansas Black. I like late dropping apples to draw as many deer in to my place as possible that time of year. They have a much longer life expectancy with my management goals and my guests ability to shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being in year 4 of newer-planted apples and crabs, I haven't had enough fruit to experience the ups and downs of producing fruit to any great degree. I can say that Liberty, Enterprise, Goldrush, Wolf River, Ark. Black, N.Y. 35 " Bonkers ", and Prairie Spy are growing very well for us at camp. The new trees planted just this spring are Galarina, Crimson Topaz, Sundance, & Dayton. So far - so good with those 4 varieties.

As for crabs - Our All-Winter-Hangover is my favorite. ( SLN tree ). Our Chestnut crab is growing gangbusters - about 13 ft. tall now in year 3. Dolgo, Centennial, Violi's Hanging crab, Kerr, Hyslop, Winter Wildlife, and Nova Scotia crabs are all growing well. Kerr attracted Japanese beetles more than the others. But really - all of these have done well for us. We have a total of 67 trees planted in the last 4 years. We planted many varieties for cross-pollination, and to vary bloom times / drop times. If I had to pick 1 favorite apple, it would be Goldrush. Late dropper and EXCELLENT taste to me.