Yoderjac X80 question

Bill

Administrator
Jack
Just thought I'd ask you before calling tech support. Got a few X80's acting up.

Problem is night pics. The flash doesn't seem to be nearly as bright as they once where. I switched out batteries in case it might be a power issue to no avail. Already change the camera lenses. The lexan does get etched in the weather after years of abuse.

Ever had an LED array just get weak and reduce brightness?

I've wondered the same thing with my Orions. Seems like they are much weaker than the used to be.

I've even wondered about an IR slave (if it is even possible).

-John

I only have one X80 and have not had any such issue with mine. My Orioins are all pretty old. There has been a slow delegation of both the illumination and picture quality due to etched Lexanby the weather. I've been rotating my Orion cameras back to BEC for refurbishment although none have failed. The largest issue has been the battery connectors. Over time, stress put on them from plugging and unplugging has caused shorts. They have replaced these on several cameras. They have also replaced the internal antenna wire on several. They replaced the Lexan on most of them. It has improved the picture quality some, but not hugely. I made a conscious decision to choose reliability and longevity over picture resolution and clarity.

I have not had an LED array go dim, but it certainly is possible. I'd have a chat with BEC and see what they say. I'd send them some pictures from when the camera was new and then send them some recent pictures for an example. I would also save your log files for a few days and include them in the email. They have lots of detailed engineering parameters in them that could help for diagnosis.

Thanks,

jack

A slave or flash upgrade would be very nice. I always like it when my Reconyx flashes at the same time my X80 does. I do not know much about the technical aspects of trail camera building but the flash range is the weakest area of the X80.

I've always thought an RF triggered black flash slave that could be placed closer to the subject was the way to go to increase flash range. I chatted about it with some BEC engineers back when the Orion was being built but for whatever reason, they did not take it to market.

BEC agreed to sell me just the black flash PC board. For $15 I'm going to swap one out and see how it goes.
Also picked up a spare internal antenna cable. They sometimes wear out and reduce transmission distance.

I don't know any other camera company that would sell parts. Great customer service in my opinion.

BEC agreed to sell me just the black flash PC board. For $15 I'm going to swap one out and see how it goes.
Also picked up a spare internal antenna cable. They sometimes wear out and reduce transmission distance.

I don't know any other camera company that would sell parts. Great customer service in my opinion.

Yes, I've been sending all mine back one at a time for refurbishing. They have been outstanding! The cost has been minimal for them to do things like replacing lenses, connectors, and cables.

Thanks,

Jack

The Buckeye cams have always had my interest. I live on the property I hunt so I think it would be a good setup for me. As for the customer service, I can't complain about Reconyx, they have always taken care of me. I had a problem HC600 last year that was 2yrs out of warranty. I spent $9 to ship it to them and they fixed it and sent it back to me and never charged me anything.

The Buckeye cams have always had my interest. I live on the property I hunt so I think it would be a good setup for me. As for the customer service, I can't complain about Reconyx, they have always taken care of me. I had a problem HC600 last year that was 2yrs out of warranty. I spent $9 to ship it to them and they fixed it and sent it back to me and never charged me anything.

You are correct...I have both Reconyx HC600 and Buckeye Orion and X80s. My Reconyx cams have been outside 24/7 for 5 years and 8 months. Sent one in last month and they repaired it for me no charge. They are a fantastic trail cam company as well.

Back when I got disgusted with the low-end Chinese cameras and did an engineering evaluation, it came down to two companies, BuckeyeCam and Reconyx. The wireless options were the reason I picked BEC over Reconyx. I thought the reliability and longevity would be somewhat better with the BEC due to the design, testing, and board coating. I particularly like the dual lens design. However, the cost of BEC was higher. For non-wireless, it was a close call but since I wanted the wireless option I went with BEC.

Both companies were head and shoulders above the competition at the time and still stand out in the area of reliability and longevity.

Thanks,

Jack