Yellow Twig Dogwood

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Years ago, when I first started experimenting with rootmaker containers, I purchased the first few containers from John at BigRock. Soon after, I started experimenting with cuttings. The first I tried was elderberries. Even though they are easy, I missed some basic concepts and did not have much success. John provided some excellent guidance and BigEight from this forum was kind enough to send me a bunch of elderberry cuttings in the middle of winter. In the end, I had great success with Elderberry.

John sent me some freebies with my orders. On one order he sent me a few yellow twig dogwood cuttings. They did not fit into my wildlife management plan since we have a lot of native browse but I needed the practice with cutting so I gave them a try. I had good success with them and my wife loved them as a landscaping plant around the yard. Those first few cuttings produced plants and I took more cuttings from them and so on each year. I just started cuttings this year.

I start these a bit differently than most. I take the cuttings normally with two buds above and two below the medium. I use rooting hormone #3 on them. I put them in 5" root trapper bags. I put the bags in my cold room (kept above freezing) for a few weeks. I put them on heating pads so the medium warms to encourage root development but keep the tops cold so they don't break dormancy. I then bring them indoors, put them under lights, and let them break dormancy and grow.

Thanks,

Jack

I planted a couple of yellowtwig late this summmer. The deer hammered them instantly so I caged them. Thinking about moving them closer to the house to minimize browsing and let them grow enough to establish.
My question is; do they like wet feet? I have a couple boggy spots that would look good filled with this stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

John would know. I'm not sure. Mine get plenty of water but are not in wet areas. I know elderberries can handle wet feet.

Thanks,

Jack

Alright. I'm going to go ahead and move them. I did some Internet research after I asked and I think they will make it. Never really liked where I put them anyway.
I established elderberry last yr. I'll put cuttings from those in the boggy areas too, just to see if I can get some interesting thickets.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I like them. The ones I planted amongst other shrubs for bedding have done well. Planted upland not in a wet spot.