All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you plant this spot

Charman03

5 year old buck +
I recently cut down a few scrub trees and now I got a decent little opening to possibly plant another apple tree. It gets mostly full sun up until around 1230-1pm, then it will be a little shaded by a larger tree to the west. The pictures were taken on the north side looking towards the south.

Would you give it a go?View attachment 20279View attachment 20280

I couldn't open your attachment but my answer is still yes! I am always looking for places to plant another fruit tree..it sure never hurts to try and beats having something growing there that doesn't benefit as much as a soft mast tree could.

8989F336-4568-42C0-A39A-1C0C74296A99.jpeg

I would cut the other locust tree down too and plant two apple trees...or pears.

I would play golf on it.

X-2 with H20. I'd cut the other locust down. You'll have 2 easily pruned, blooming fruit trees. Just make them compatible for pollination.

Just one? Looks like enough room for 100!

My thoughts exactly!
Unfortunately I wasn’t allowed to plant my entire yard into an orchard per the wife so I had to pick some areas on the fringes.

Just keep in mind how messy fruit can be in a yard and that it can attract other critters up near the house you may not want. Coons, skunks, moles, snakes, opossums, you name it.....they will come in for the food or for what eats the food. Mast trees may be great for wildlife, but they may not be so great for your yard.....

Just keep in mind how messy fruit can be in a yard and that it can attract other critters up near the house you may not want. Coons, skunks, moles, snakes, opossums, you name it.....they will come in for the food or for what eats the food. Mast trees may be great for wildlife, but they may not be so great for your yard.....

I’m glad my wife doesn’t read this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m glad my wife doesn’t read this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha.

I live in a clearing about half mile into the woods, we have tons of critters around

I’ll have a dozen trees here most likely, it was an acceptable compromise

I realize all that. I just think grass is a waste of space. Give me fruit trees and undocumented animals!
And a dog. A large, undocumented dog.

Ok, OK !!!! :emoji_relaxed: I'm just trying to keep a fella from regretting a decision and having his wife in his ear for lord knows how long!

I am all for putting open space to good use for wildlife.....I also know that not everyone (usually our wives) share the same views on the matter.....especially around/near the house.

I live in the country as well but the wife still doesn't like to come home to an angry coon in the garage or on the porch and if it's a snake...good lord she will want to burn the house down! And if somehow she can link it to something I have done....well, guess who REALLY hears about it then!!!! She likes living in the country....she just wants to see "the country" at a distance I guess.

Heck - plant a mulberry tree! You will love all the fruit on the ground and the birds will drop purple bird poop all over your car and drive way....and the fruit rotting in the ground will attract grubs which attract moles, so your yard will be destroyed....coons like the fruit and will then be able to get into other things and tangle with the family dog as well.....the wife will love it!!!!:emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:

So there...is that advice better????:emoji_smiling_imp:

hahahahahaha - all in good fun!!!!

Ok, OK !!!! :emoji_relaxed: I'm just trying to keep a fella from regretting a decision and having his wife in his ear for lord knows how long!

I am all for putting open space to good use for wildlife.....I also know that not everyone (usually our wives) share the same views on the matter.....especially around/near the house.

I live in the country as well but the wife still doesn't like to come home to an angry coon in the garage or on the porch and if it's a snake...good lord she will want to burn the house down! And if somehow she can link it to something I have done....well, guess who REALLY hears about it then!!!! She likes living in the country....she just wants to see "the country" at a distance I guess.

Heck - plant a mulberry tree! You will love all the fruit on the ground and the birds will drop purple bird poop all over your car and drive way....and the fruit rotting in the ground will attract grubs which attract moles, so your yard will be destroyed....coons like the fruit and will then be able to get into other things and tangle with the family dog as well.....the wife will love it!!!!:emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:

So there...is that advice better????:emoji_smiling_imp:

hahahahahaha - all in good fun!!!!

I prefer apple trees. Anything that falls to the ground is picked up for bait for the deer. I have had deer tracks on my front porch though. We be friendly with the deer! I even invite them in for dinner.

I prefer apple trees. Anything that falls to the ground is picked up for bait for the deer. I have had deer tracks on my front porch though. We be friendly with the deer! I even invite them in for dinner.
Having had squirrels in the house before.....on purpose(we rescued them). I suggest you invite your deer guests over for dinner......but eat outside (aka BBQ)!