Winter Killed Clover

Steve Oehlenschlager

5 year old buck +
First time inspecting the farm for the year today. Looks like about 95% winter kill on my clover this year. The cold and lack of snow can do a number in clover sometimes. Looks like I will be replanting clover next week. Such a shame to see a great plot almost all dead. Should be nice green fresh shoots coming up on warm day like this. Fortunetly it has been many years since this has happened.

What variety did you have in that plot Steve? Will you be planting the same type or trying something new?

I have one small field that was an amazing ladino and red plot the last two years. This year it also looks a little sad and I thought it woulod be at its peak in year three. I overseeded/frost seeded in march for insurance.

I am not even sure. Think it was jumbo Ladino from Welters. Don't think it would have mattered much what kind. I had another kind before when the conditions were the same and it died too. Had alfalfa do the same that year as well. Just not designed for no snow and 20 below for extended periods. The plots had chicory and that looks toast as well. I know it is still early in the spring, but there should be some new gro

Possibly what killed it was we got 6 inches of snow and then it got cold. Then a. Few weeks later it all melted and got very warm. Possibly got started to regrow and then it got very cold again with no snow. Last time it all wi get killed we got an extremely mild spell that caused it to break dormancy and then cold weather zapped it. It happens.

My renter just put in 9 acres of triticale and peas, with alfalfa under it!

Up north, my tiny clover patch is struggling, but I broadcasted some clover over the turnip part of the patch a few weeks ago.

Possibly what killed it was we got 6 inches of snow and then it got cold. Then a. Few weeks later it all melted and got very warm. Possibly got started to regrow and then it got very cold again with no snow. Last time it all wi get killed we got an extremely mild spell that caused it to break dormancy and then cold weather zapped it. It happens.
I would say it is highly likely that the above scenario could very well be the culprit. If a plant has already cold acclimated itself for the season and the plant and roots absorb too much moisture during a warm spell, then it suddenly gets bitter cold for an extended period, it will cause destabilization of the plants plasma membrane and a potentially high mortality rate. Alfalfa also will sustain frost heaving injury to the root crowns in those same conditions.

I went by (but did not inspect) one of my uncles Alfalfa field today. It did not look good either. Suspect it is all dead. Was only 1 year old, but it was a great looking field.

With the lack of snow cover, freeze dehydration can be a huge issue as well. From what I understand, it is akin to freezer burn.

I used durana, patriot, kura and kopu ll, it worked really well. Planted in the fall of 2013, with a rye nurse crop.

Any alfalfa or clover 3 years and older has been mostly wiped out. Lots of dairy guys picking up new seed by the pallet loads.

Just another one of those years!
Alfalfa hay will be expensive.

Interesting..... I was going to post the same topic.

My clover is all deader than dead.
Dad said a farmer near him plowed under 100 acres of alfalfa this week because it all died.

I was partly thinking the dry spring just hadnt allowed the stuff to pop yet.... Looks like I will be tilling up all my clover and replanting based on the observations of you guys.

Lucky I have the next 7 days off. Need to add to my list of things to do..... "replant clover"....

BLB, mine looks like what you describe. Very Dead. Looks like I'll be doing some replanting.