Wildflower Meadow Mixes

H80Hunter

5 year old buck +
Not sure if his is the right place for this, but I KNOW this is the right group to ask.

I want to create a low maintenance wildflower meadow type area on parts of my new large country lawn. Any advice? I’m basically assuming I can kill a large garden sized area, till, spread the seed and get it going. Does anyone have any input on mixes, things you wish you knew? I can follow directions on mixes and know the basics of food plotting and soil building so I don’t think this is a big deal... but, I’m sure someone has something to add.

Americanmeadow seems to have some nice mixes based on your region (Midwest here), just pick a couple that look good, plant and see what happens?

Look into Ernst Seed Co. here in Pa. too. They have seed mixes for just about any region / situation in the U.S. from wetlands to pipelines to mining areas - sunny, shady, etc.

Reactions: Tap
Ernst is good people, I went to college with one of the sons, Andy was always good to have around. they have TONS of seed.

Reactions: Tap
^^^Agree with the Ernst recommendations.
Great people and tons of seed.
Their catalog is tremendous. Huge selection of products, oodles of photos, and planting/care info. Everyone should have a copy. I guarantee you will find the catalog very interesting and useful.
Ernst specializes in native plants but they do have a few naturalized and ag seed varieties.

Last edited:
I put in a 12 acre prairie 25 years ago with 7 grasses and 20 forbs. It is sandy soil and gets full sun. Some of the forbs that I used are purple cone flower, black eyed susan, bergamont, baptista, butterfly milkweed, and rough blazing star among others.
What is your goal for the planting? My forbs attract Monarch butterflies, birds of all kinds, bees, insects, ants, turkeys and deer. I would decide what you want to attract and then match that to the forbs that will do well in your area and particular soil type. I bought all my seed locally from Prairie Nursery in Westfield, WI. I believe in buying seed that is acclimatized to your area from a local source.
I am also a member of The Prairie Enthusiasts (TPE). A great reference source.

Last edited:
Not sure if his is the right place for this, but I KNOW this is the right group to ask.

I want to create a low maintenance wildflower meadow type area on parts of my new large country lawn. Any advice? I’m basically assuming I can kill a large garden sized area, till, spread the seed and get it going. Does anyone have any input on mixes, things you wish you knew? I can follow directions on mixes and know the basics of food plotting and soil building so I don’t think this is a big deal... but, I’m sure someone has something to add.

Americanmeadow seems to have some nice mixes based on your region (Midwest here), just pick a couple that look good, plant and see what happens?

I tried some items from American meadows several years ago. I prepared the area very well with several rounds of spraying. I really wanted them to work well but they worked below average for me. You may have better success.
So then I prepared several sections of Ernst meadow mixes. They came in well and it did not take 3 years for my Andropogon and Shizachyrium to develop. During peak bloom the flowers/forbs really, really attract bugs. You can easily hear the flying bugs. Last year I had at least one covey of grouse chicks and at least one hen turkey with 8 poults. I seemed to always be bumping them out of the meadow mixes last year while they were picking hoppers and bugs. I just saw the hen grouse 2 times last weekend and it has another brood this year with 11 chicks! FWIW, Pycnanthemum, Asclepias, Monarda and Penstemon seemed to have the most bugs until the Solidago took over in September.
Depending on the size of your lawn/land, you may be able to enroll it in NRCS and they have some sort of plan now that pays you to plant and maintain a pollinator strip. Wish I had knew that a couple years ago too.
Spray well to remove all fescue/grass, don't fertilize but you could lime a little if you wish, plant in the fall...my $0.02.
I prefer to purchase locally too. Ernst is about 120 miles distant.

I tried some items from American meadows several years ago. I prepared the area very well with several rounds of spraying. I really wanted them to work well but they worked below average for me. You may have better success.
So then I prepared several sections of Ernst meadow mixes. They came in well and it did not take 3 years for my Andropogon and Shizachyrium to develop. During peak bloom the flowers/forbs really, really attract bugs. You can easily hear the flying bugs. Last year I had at least one covey of grouse chicks and at least one hen turkey with 8 poults. I seemed to always be bumping them out of the meadow mixes last year while they were picking hoppers and bugs. I just saw the hen grouse 2 times last weekend and it has another brood this year with 11 chicks! FWIW, Pycnanthemum, Asclepias, Monarda and Penstemon seemed to have the most bugs until the Solidago took over in September.
Depending on the size of your lawn/land, you may be able to enroll it in NRCS and they have some sort of plan now that pays you to plant and maintain a pollinator strip. Wish I had knew that a couple years ago too.
Spray well to remove all fescue/grass, don't fertilize but you could lime a little if you wish, plant in the fall...my $0.02.
I prefer to purchase locally too. Ernst is about 120 miles distant.

What's a grouse? Seems to me I've heard of them and even seen and shot a few...2 with a bow. Haven't seen one or heard drumming here for over 15 years and I have the habitat.

Prep it and plant it like clover. Keep the seed super shallow. Covered is usually too deep. Pressed in is just right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it is a yard/lawn type setting keep in mind that some species can become pretty aggressive in terms of seed dispersal and it will begin to show up in other areas, maybe areas that you dont want it in. Black Eyed Susan is one that comes to mind for me. Planted it here at the house and it tried to take over the entire property! Stock Seed Farms in Nebraska is another place to shop as well online. I have always had good luck with their seed.