Wild Idea

ChadS

A good 3 year old buck
I posted this on the "OTHER" forum as well, but thought this might get a few different views.

1. Here is a wild idea I got walking around our place this weekend.

We have a camp in our woods, and every spring I have to blow all the leaves out which opens up the soil.

Every Spring, I get a huge rush of growth in camp, and it greens up real good.

I am a huge believer that one of the things that would help our place out immensely is if it burned, getting rid of the Leave covered floor and getting that sun onto black dirt.

Well, why not take my back pack blower and go into the woods and just start blowing huge areas open to get sun light and bare black ground.

I have a back blower that we use to blow trails into our stands, and works great, tons of power and does not take that much effort.

As well these trails ten to green up where the sun gets thru.

Any ideas?? For or Against?

Has anyone tried this before?

I just think it would give a spark to getting things growing.

Thx

Chad​

Attachments

• IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    678.9 KB · Views: 29
I think it would work but you would have to have the sunlight. If you did some select thinning I would think it would work out good.

Might as well try it. Fire works well also as well has cutting trees down.

I should have mentioned we have already done extensive TSI and there is good sun light getting thru.

I have just been a little disappointed at how long it is taking to get anything going on the ground.

Ill take pics this weekend of the areas i am looking at.

I would try burning, but there is way too much wood on the ground.

you could also add to what may come up, some dense shade clover seed would benefit ya. I used to clear an area in the hardwoods in the fall and hand broadcast winter rye, when the leaves came off they landed on the plot, but the rye came through and the deer found it within days of it coming up.

Sure you don’t have a sunlight issue? In my experience there is an initial difference in regeneration of cleared off areas but after a few years the margins shrink. How long has it been since the select cut? I have areas where I hinged then burnt and you can literally see the difference where less sunlight comes into play.

I have an area I burned off and there has been 10’ of growth in 2 years. Then like someone drew a line on the ground there is a section of 2’ of growth over the same period. Both areas burned off the same time. The only difference is the amount of sunlight.

I know what you mean about the leaves being too thick and nothing grows wherever the leaves are. Clearing should help but debris has to be dealt with otherwise the wind blows and you need to do it again.

I blow my in woods plots off every year. It can’t hurt. Do a side by side and see what happens. God forbid we were allowed to burn something in NY.

I should have mentioned we have already done extensive TSI and there is good sun light getting thru.

I have just been a little disappointed at how long it is taking to get anything going on the ground.

Ill take pics this weekend of the areas i am looking at.

I would try burning, but there is way too much wood on the ground.
If your not worried about violating the burn ban use your blower to control the burn. I have seen videos where they control the burn with the blower. Pretty effective.

I blow my in woods plots off every year. It can’t hurt. Do a side by side and see what happens. God forbid we were allowed to burn something in NY.
What exactly ARE you allowed to do in NY? You people have to get rid of "Govenor Headcase". What a loon.

Weed and gambling are big on the States agenda