All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WI Foresters

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Has anyone leverage this program? http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/forestlandowners/locator/DNR_Foresters.asp

I am closing on a property in Dunn County in May. I'd like to better understand what programs are available for trees/shrubs to enhance the land and get a better understanding of any cost sharing programs for habitat improvement.

Any reason I shouldn't do a site visit with them?

I had my local DNR forester walk my property when I first purchased it. It was a waist of my time.

I've had a few WDNR foresters out and have always had a positive experience. They'll tell you how old your forest is and give you some good insights, just remember foresters are always thinking board feet of lumber. They are not always on the same page as wildlife management. Look into the Wisconsin Landowner Grant Program. If you need a plan they might still be able to write it for you.

Also, figure out your goals for the property ahead of time. Then you can decide how any of the information you gather can be applied to your goals.

Do you have any tillable on the farm? If so, CRP/trees are usually an option, or a WHIP program can pay for nearly all the cost of tree plantings.

I don't know how other states work on the programs that cost-share / restore land / habitat, but in Pa., the state tells YOU what they're going to plant on your land. Here, the state will pay for most - if not all - of the cost to plant seedlings and grasses on your property, but they decide what those plants will be. My camp opted to pay for our own plantings so WE had the say over what got planted.

A lot of what the state wanted to plant was more for erosion control than wildlife habitat. No bargain for us or our goals. Just a thought to ask about.

Money for programs in Wisconsin is only available at certain times. The last time I did a controlled burn on my 12 acre prairie in 2103 there was a WHIP program that helped me with the cost of the burn and disking in the fire break. When I checked again last year, the money for this program had run out.
I was approved for a pollinator program this year, but did not like the fact that I had to maintain the clover mix planting for 5 years. When I looked at the grant money divided by 5, it did not make monetary sense to me.
I have gotten cost share money for planting pine trees on my land, back in the 1980s.
A good place to start is your county NRCS office.

Im in Dunn county and had the DNR forester come out (Matt Molback) and he was very helpful. Used his free report as a "management plan" to get into the NRCS EQUIP program. He also recommend logging an area that was small. He helped me find neighbors with planned timbercuts so I could piggyback my small cut with a neighbor. Well worth the time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Im in Dunn county and had the DNR forester come out (Matt Molback) and he was very helpful. Used his free report as a "management plan" to get into the NRCS EQUIP program. He also recommend logging an area that was small. He helped me find neighbors with planned timbercuts so I could piggyback my small cut with a neighbor. Well worth the time!

Great thanks Lee. That is who I had contacted. Haven't heard back yet, but encouraging to hear it was a good use of time. I'll report back to everyone once I meet with him.

I had the local forester out for my area too. We had gotten a flyer from My Wisconsin Woods and set it up through them in Madison. It was well worth my time. The lady that came out did a great job explaining the different management perspectives from managing for lumber and wildlife. She was impartial to either way of doing things. She showed me in the field what I could do to promote popple regeneration or what to look at to manage the oaks.
I'm still debating if I want to get into any of the cost sharing programs myself. But as far as having the forester out I would highly recommend it.

Hi All,

Just wanted to report back that I did a walk through with Matt Molback this weekend. We spent a few hours walking my property discussing the various stands, their health, possible ideas etc. I found it very helpful as someone that doesn't know a ton about timber management. I would recommend the review for anyone that isn't a timber expert.

Hi All,

Just wanted to report back that I did a walk through with Matt Molback this weekend. We spent a few hours walking my property discussing the various stands, their health, possible ideas etc. I found it very helpful as someone that doesn't know a ton about timber management. I would recommend the review for anyone that isn't a timber expert.
I agree. Had a walk thru done on my property a year ago. I wasn't there for it but received a two page report in the mail and the forester responded to several questions via email and provided info on timber harvest, etc. Very helpful

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Rob Strand is the other Forester besides Matt. There is a small DNR office in Menomonie; on the west side of town just of Hwy 29. (They do not have a front office person so you'll have to bang on the side door or call, better to do both in the morning if you want to get a hold of someone). They will do a site visit - one anyways and its well worth having them come out. The NRCS offices and County Ag offices are on the east of town off Red Cedar Street by the hospital. It is well worth going in and talking with them as well, and dont forget the US Fish and Wildlife out of New Richmond they work in both St. Croix and Dunn County. I had Rob come out and do a walk.

Ps.....
Welcome to Dunn Co.

Dont forget to swing into the Lucette brewery across the road from the DNR office!

Another possibility is the NRCS. I completed a contract with the NRCS two years ago. The cost share wasn't huge, but it was better than nothing. Mine included brush removal (buckthorn), noxious weed removal (garlic mustard), and tree establishment. The process was formal. I had to have a plan written by my local DNR forester. It was a neat experience, but a ton of work. The funds were under the EQIP program.