What’s a good deer deterrent other than a electric fence?

Garrett2006

5 year old buck +
Other than an electric fence what’s a good deer deterrent for foods plots that you guys have have good/decent success with?

I’ve been looking into the plot saver that you spray scent onto to repel deer, I have an electric fence on one plot, but looking to do a cheaper alternative for couple more 1-2 acre plots on the property.

Thanks.

Milorganite. But you may have to reapply every few weeks. Works better in some areas than others, depending on how desperate the deer are for quality forage.

Other than an electric fence what’s a good deer deterrent for foods plots that you guys have have good/decent success with?

I’ve been looking into the plot saver that you spray scent onto to repel deer, I have an electric fence on one plot, but looking to do a cheaper alternative for couple more 1-2 acre plots on the property.

Thanks.

Other than a true exclosure nothing will keep deer out if they want in. Even a Gallagher-style fence relies on psychological factors not a physical barrier. If deer really want in, they have the means to get there. With the Gallagher-style (properly constructed) they usually don't. All of the other stuff has varying degrees of effectiveness. It is largely dependent on the local deer density and alternative foods available at the time. In most cases, if you have high deer densities, an attractive plot, and few alternative quality food sources, and you "protect" a portion of your plot with plotsaver, deer will first wipe out the plot outside the fence and then wipe out what is inside the fence.

In many cases, timing is an issue. Warm season annuals like soybeans are highly attractive. They are very vulnerable at an early stage of growth. More vigorous varieties like forage beans grow a bit faster and are more resistant to browsing but even they are vulnerable at an early stage of growth. In many areas warm season annuals are also competing with summer weeds. So, they are stressed by more than just browsing.

One year I planted a lot of RR Eagle Forage beans. Gly helped with the weed competition. I protected a small section with a Gallagher-style fence. I planted about 5 acres that year. Deer could not kill most of the eagle beans, but they kept them naked all summer and eventually grasses and other weeds infiltrated the field. I kept the fence up until the beans inside canopied. At this point, they were well established and ahead of the deer. My deer immediately browsed them heavily but could not eat them as fast as they could produce new growth. By fall they were 6' tall.

My point here is this. Things like plotsaver are not very effective compared to a Gallagher-style fence, but, depending on your particular situation they may be effective enough if you get the timing right. They key is getting the particular crop you are planting established enough to resist browsing and shade out weeds. But, odds are you will be disappointed with the results.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have been having some success with the plot saver. But, there is a learning curve that I've run into:

It requires some maintenance (sags, posts tip over, etc.)
It requires re-spraying.
Some animals are not deterred based on small height (fawns, turkeys, woodchucks, etc.).

I have pictures of deer and bears with their noses to the fencing and they won't go in. But the instructions on the installation is that the fence should be 32" high. In those cases it works.

I have not tried (but I have seen some ideas) where people use an alternative - homemade - liquid spray. So from a purely economical standpoint, the fencing comes on a real, you just wind it back up at the end of your use. And if you make your own liquid spray you might save some $$ but the plotsaver concentrate spray is relatively cheap.

Attachments

• 20190601_123316.jpg
    20190601_123316.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Bear2.jpg
    Bear2.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 17
I too have had success with the plot saver fence, but reapplication is a must every 2-3 weeks. One tip I do is use a sponge and a bucket when applying the scent. Dip the sponge then hold the bucket under the sponge while you apply, the left overs go in the buck instead of on the ground. Spraying it on the fence you waste over half the liquid.

There is definitely a "DIY" factor with re-applying. I have an old spray bottle from RAID (Raid Bug Max Bug Barrier). It was empty but the sprayer still works. I replaced the batteries (I think it was 2 AAAs) and refill that with the plot saver liquid and use that for re-application. I spray directly onto the plot saver band while my fingers slide along holding the band upright. This allows very little to go elsewhere. I can do my whole fence with less than 1 Qt (30 oz).

1561410164473.png

I have not tried this method myself but rather information that I got from an orchard in NY State who uses scented dryer sheets hung on branches throughout their orchard. They say it is very effective so try this and let us readers know if it works.

A neighbor has a coyote decoy he moves around his yard every few days. Havent had a chance to ask him how it works, but it sure keeps me on my toes.

Hope the coyote decoy works better than it did for keeping geese off our beach haha

Attachments

• Geese w decoy.png
    Geese w decoy.png
    775.5 KB · Views: 22
Go to your local barber and ask to get all the hair clipping they have. Nothing like human presence to keep the deer away.