Western Hunt Services: Guide Recommendations

Freeborn

5 year old buck +
Hi group,

Has anybody used any of the hunting services that help hunters apply, find and buy tags for western hunts? Services like Hunting Fool, Rolling Bones and Cabelas Tags.

A buddy and I have been collecting points in several states for quite a few years and have done several DIY/drop camp western hunts but are now ready to hire a guide or buy a landowner tag. Finding a quality area with a quality guide is not an easy task because you don't know what to believe.

If anybody has recommendations on an area or a guide they liked that would be appreciated. We are looking for Elk and Mule Deer.

Thanks Much!

FB

I had cabelas apply for oryx in NM for my daughter and myself,we both drew first time applied.Another thing alot of people do is to get a credit card for just applying and put all the charges on that card then just pay interest until refunds come back and pay off card except for what you draw.Cabelas used to be good,don't know now with BPS taking over,Hunting fool is a decent deal also.Another place that has been getting alot of attention is Hosted Hunts.Don't forget to check raffles in western states.I won a statewide moose tag in CO for 100.00 raffle tickets

I had cabelas apply for oryx in NM for my daughter and myself,we both drew first time applied.Another thing alot of people do is to get a credit card for just applying and put all the charges on that card then just pay interest until refunds come back and pay off card except for what you draw.Cabelas used to be good,don't know now with BPS taking over,Hunting fool is a decent deal also.Another place that has been getting alot of attention is Hosted Hunts.Don't forget to check raffles in western states.I won a statewide moose tag in CO for 100.00 raffle tickets

Thanks Buckdeer1, appreciate the advise. Good idea on the card, buying license while you wait can add up. That's great you won a tag, I have never attempted but sounds like I should.

Thanks again!

WTA- which use to be Cabelas TAGS is good, same guys running it. Used there service a few times would recommend them. Hunting fool - I get the subscription but have never used them for any hunts

As long as Eric and a couple others can run like they used to it should be fine,if BPS has stepped in then I am sure it's like the rest of cabelas including their credit card and it's messed up

As long as Eric and a couple others can run like they used to it should be fine,if BPS has stepped in then I am sure it's like the rest of cabelas including their credit card and it's messed up
It has not been under Cabelas Tags for over 3 years already before BPS bought Cabelas , It has been run under the name of WTA Tags(World Wide Trophy Adventures)Eric is still there. BPS has nothing to do with this company

I talked to WTA today, seems like good people. Lots of choices of states for Elk and Mule Deer to choose from, applying for the best zones in multiple states could get spendy over a few years. This is not including applying for other animals.

How did you guys narrow your search to a reasonable number?

I talked to WTA today, seems like good people. Lots of choices of states for Elk and Mule Deer to choose from, applying for the best zones in multiple states could get spendy over a few years. This is not including applying for other animals.

How did you guys narrow your search to a reasonable number?
I apply for trophy states(not saying others are not trophy states) I have connections with good outfitters and apply myself, I belong to hunting fool to remind of when to apply
Elk- AZ,UT, WY, MT, NM(WTA does my application)
Mule deer - AZ,UT
its all a $ game but landowner tags in those states are really spendy

I apply for trophy states(not saying others are not trophy states) I have connections with good outfitters and apply myself, I belong to hunting fool to remind of when to apply
Elk- AZ,UT, WY, MT, NM(WTA does my application)
Mule deer - AZ,UT
its all a $ game but landowner tags in those states are really spendy

You pretty much listed the states I'm interested in. Agree, Getting a tag is way cheaper than a landowner tag. So you only have WTA apply for NM, why? Agree applying in many of these states is not a problem.

I use to be a member of the Hunting Fool but let my membership lapse. I do have several years of their magazine but I need to restablish my membership. I Never used their tag services I just got their magazine.

I do have 8 Elk and Mule deer points in Wyoming and Colorado so those states are on my list.

I’ve been using Huntin Fool for 15 years. It’s been well worth the price for me personally. I’m building points in all western states that offer NR points systems and my schedule doesn’t always allow time to apply myself. 15+ points in most states for all species, looking forward to cashing in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drew a WY moose tag a few years back but stopped buying sheep points,my mistake.My wife has WY moose points but now it cost more to hunt moose in WY than in Newfoundland.WTA is still a partner of Cabelas, at least thats what it says on the catalog I got last week from WTA

I drew a WY moose tag a few years back but stopped buying sheep points,my mistake.My wife has WY moose points but now it cost more to hunt moose in WY than in Newfoundland.WTA is still a partner of Cabelas, at least thats what it says on the catalog I got last week from WTA
Yea a partner but not under BPS ownership. Pretty sure one of the Cabelas boys owns WTA and it didn't get sold with the retail store, hence the name change
Moose hunt in WY will cost the lic cost you can DIY, where in NF you need a guide/outfitter, depends how you look at it

Last edited:
You pretty much listed the states I'm interested in. Agree, Getting a tag is way cheaper than a landowner tag. So you only have WTA apply for NM, why? Agree applying in many of these states is not a problem.

I use to be a member of the Hunting Fool but let my membership lapse. I do have several years of their magazine but I need to restablish my membership. I Never used their tag services I just got their magazine.

I do have 8 Elk and Mule deer points in Wyoming and Colorado so those states are on my list.
Why only NM, because NM is a pain to apply for and you have better odds with an outfitter on Application, and they have that.
Reason I don't have them apply for other states is I look at the amount they charge on top of the actual application($50 per species) as money I can put towards other draws. Some states I put in for up to 6 species like Utah cause it only costs $10 for each once you have the liscense, so thats a $300 savings not using WTA or Hunting Fool of putting me in. And I can keep track of when to draw because hunting fool lets you know when deadlines are in the magazine and serves as a reminder,
With 8 Elk pts in Wyoming you can draw a couple good units that produce 325"+ bulls