All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walk in Cooler

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
How many of you have walk in coolers at your farm? One of my best friends who hunts at the farm works with them and brought me one they tore out for a customer. They assemble the box this weekend. It is 8 feet tall and 6 feet by 10. We are going to put a rack in it next weekend and the cooling unit. Any suggestions or ideas to consider? I didn't think I would ever want one, but it will be great to hang those early season does in when they show up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one (for Big Rock Trees, but we only use it for trees from Dec - May).

It's turned out to be really handy.

When we are making sausage, we can store the meat in it overnight (hundreds of pounds in multiple coolers).

Warm season deer.

I keep it at ~28 degrees. That's the best beer cooler you've ever seen.

The only suggestion I can give you is when I had mine installed the refrigeration guy told me to put some gizmo in so that if it ever failed it wouldn't wreck the compressor (I believe it is a small pressure tank so the coolant has somewhere to go). So I had them install it. I've never needed it, but I've never had to replace my compressor either :) (sorry for my terrible description!)

-John

We have one at our Fl lease. It is great. Kill one in the evening during the week and all you need to do is gut it place it in the cooler and wait till the weekend to process it.

I know you said you already have a cooling unit, but if you didnt I would recommend a CoolBot controller and window AC I have used mine 2 years now and have absolutely no complaints. I have upgraded the square footage cooled each year. Last year I used it to keep a 5' x 5' x 8' utility trailor that I insulated at 30-40 degrees.

Turkey Creek, what is the Coolbot controller do?

Turkey Creek, what is the Coolbot controller do?
Basically a control unit that plugs into a window AC and over rides the temperature control function. They AC will continue to blow cold air down to the temperature you have set. It does not get cold enough to freeze, but on a very small room you can get it pretty darn close.

Thanks, I was thinking about building a 6x6 or 6x8 box on skids that I could slide on a 2 axle trailer and still have room for a quad or utv. Been to MO a few times for rifle season and it always seems to warm to let them hang and running after ice takes alot of time. I was guessind a window unit would work in a small well insulated bow.

I love mine. Meat quality has gone through the roof with it. Killed gutted and cooling in less than an hour usually. Plus I hang them about a week, I think the aging helps too.

Those with homemade ones what are you using for insulation and construction?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I used regular wood construction. Put your vapor barrier towards the outer surface, so condensation doesnt saturate your insulation. I did use 2" foam board and sealed all the gaps with foam in a can as well.

Well you have me excited. My guests seem to want it more than anyone. They were even telling my wife how great it will be for parties :)

How many of you have walk in coolers at your farm? One of my best friends who hunts at the farm works with them and brought me one they tore out for a customer. They assemble the box this weekend. It is 8 feet tall and 6 feet by 10. We are going to put a rack in it next weekend and the cooling unit. Any suggestions or ideas to consider? I didn't think I would ever want one, but it will be great to hang those early season does in when they show up.

I considered one, but I live in the DC metro area. Restaurants are opening and going out of business all the time. I picked up a couple used reach-in coolers. I put one in my garage at home and one in the barn at the farm. When we shoot deer, we DMAP them for the state. I then skin and quarter mine using a hoist in our barn. I put a galvanized pipe in the reach in coolers and removed all the shelving. I use regular meat-hooks to hand the quarters. I can get 2 deer in the cooler to cure at once.

When I leave the farm, I put the quarters in a garbage bag and then put that in a large Rubbermaid container with some ice to transport it home. I then put the deer in the cooler in my garage to hang for a few days before I butcher it.

Thanks,

jack