Viola Crab

greyphase

5 year old buck +
A pic from last week of my Viola Crab planted in 2011 from St. Lawrence nursery.
Viola_Crab_blossoms_5-6-18_002.jpg

Beauty!

Very nice!!!

Very nice, what size apples are you seeing? Is the tree a consistent producer?

I just planted 2 of them this year.

Let’s see more of your trees!

Very nice tree Rick! That variety is 1 I transplanted a few weeks ago, nice to see what I have to look forward too!

Good looking tree Rick! I grafted a Violi's from some scion you sent me 2 years ago. That tree was planted at the farm this spring and it was a dandy! Super vigorous.

My Viola has been a shy bearer for some reason. It's on Antonovka rootstock so that might be the reason, but I have other crabs on Antonovka that have produced fruit much quicker. Last year was the first it produced and then only a few apples. Hoping with the number of blooms this year it will kick in and produce a good crop. Here's a pic from last year. Very big for a crab, but maybe because it just carried a few fruit.
Viola_Crab.jpg

Let’s see more of your trees!

Here ya go yummie. :emoji_grin:

Here's some "wild" trees growing around the house. Not much for fresh eating, but the wildlife love them.
The Sinkhole apple. Produces every year a very late (into Feb) hanging apple.
Sinkhole_apple.jpg

The Emma apple. Another reliable producer that slowly drops it's apples from Sept to Dec. Too close to the house for the deer to come in and eat, I haul some back on the ridge and they gobble them up.
Emma_apple.jpg

The Chicken Coop crab. Every year carries a heavy load of sweet crabs. The chickens eat them as soon as they hit the ground. Has a nice slow drop from Sept to Nov. I've got several B118's grafts planted in the Back40.
Chicken_Coop_Crab.jpg

The Sweet Crab. A seedling I got from the Pa Game Commission. Produces a bird sized crab every year. I got several seedlings from the Game Commission but this is the only one with the really red blooms.
Sweet_Crab.jpg

Very nice!

Great Pics! Are those Viola something to snack on?...spitter?

Looks like another good year, Rick. Isn't the Chicken coop crab the one you showed pix of in the past that hangs FULL of small apples ?? Seems to me I remember some pix you posted - I could be off-base !!