Top-working--What's next?

deepsleep

5 year old buck +
So I top-worked a bunch of small-fruited seedling crabs to more desirable varieties this past May and wondering how to manage going forward. Nearly all of the crabs started out a foot tall or so from Coldstream Nursery. I harvested scions from my own trees the last week in March, and bark-grafted around May 10. The rootstock trees were mostly 4th leaf and in full bloom. I put 2-4 scions on each depending on diameter. I used mostly scion sticks that were 3 buds long. Most of my scions were about half the diameter of a pencil as I was unable to prune the year before and didn't get a ton of new growth the previous summer. Here is a typical example of tree that was topworked (I ended up doing more than 70 I believe). This is Liberty grafted onto a seedling crab ("Midwest" I believe).

Trees were cut off around 3 feet, or higher if need to preserve a nurse branch.

Scions were inserted as mentioned above and wrapped very tightly with 1/2" grafting tape. All surfaces were liberally coated with Treekote including the tape and cut scion ends. They were rechecked a few hours later and more Treekote applied if needed. By about day 8, the buds were swelling.

2 or so weeks later

After 4-6 weeks, I had my dad cut the tapes to prevent girdling. He said they were pretty tight such that a single vertical slit popped open a mm or 2. Here is that tree at the 2 month mark.

About 2 weeks after this last photo was taken, I was able to get up there. At that time, I chose the best new leader and cut the others back by 80% or so. I also put permanent name tags on rather than the labeled surveyor's tape. I was up to check on them for early antlerless season about 10 days ago. Here is that same tree.

Obviously, I am satisfied with the result. My question is how to handle things going forward. My understanding is that keeping the extra scions helps the stump wound heal faster. Do I trim them back this winter and get rid of them the next? What have you guys done that has worked well as far as healing goes. I am hoping that these trees start fruiting in a couple of seasons.

Very nice work. You are well in your way and seem to be an expert grafter

Very nice work. You are well in your way and seem to be an expert grafter

There are a few areas where I am an "expert".....Apple grafting is not one of them. I am, however, encouraged by my first year success, which is 100% due to the internet. This forum has been super helpful, along with this article I found last winter. They basically suggest grafting a bit later than most people on here do, and since that's when I could get vacation, that's what I did.

http://blogs.cornell.edu/plantpathhvl/files/2015/02/12-3-Hoying-NYFQ-grafting-28tz2tf.pdf

The article covers what I've done so far, but other than removing the nurse branch this winter, makes no other suggestions. This tree now has 1 dominant scion and 2 smaller scions that have been trimmed short. Do I cut the 2 little ones off this winter or shorten them or ???

amazing job

I'm no expert on this subject either, but I think I'd cut the smaller scions down to 1" nubs this winter.

That is kind of what I was thinking as well. Cut to 1 inch this winter, then cut flush the winter after?

amazing job
Thank you for posting pictures of your successes and answering questions I had. Definitely made things much easier!

I'm no expert on this subject either, but I think I'd cut the smaller scions down to 1" nubs this winter.

Why cut them to one inch? Wouldn't you want to cut it closer to the collar so that it is easier to callus over?

Wow! Fun project! I have a clearance crab from local box store that gets chewed up with CAR that I want to top work next spring!
Maybe field planting desired rootstock then top working the following yr is the way to go for guys like us???
Also is their any benefit to cleft graft vs bark graft when top working?