To deleaf or not to deleaf that is the question

matinc

5 year old buck +
Just looking for the groups opinion on blowing out leaves on their food plot so they grow better.

I think it's a good idea. Leaves smother small plants.

I use my leaf blower and clear out the leaves leaving a clean place for the food plot. My wonder is if I am using no till and gonna be roller crimping down in June does it really matter. Where I have clover I clean that up if possible by November.

Clover for the 1st year matters. Grains and establish clover plots don't seem to be overly bothered by them. I plant in a 10-15 yard wide snowmobile trail. Birch,beech, and some maple leaves.

Mowing clover and rye when the leaves drop has not seem to bother them. Mowed in december once, food plots didnt miss a beat in april. Even with thousands of snowmobiles and ski resort style trail groomers compacting the snow.

A picture of the leave situation would be good. A spot real thick that is matted with it ay be an issue. I have woried about it in the fall a few times and everything looks ok the next spring.

My Club blows Oak leaves off plots before doing any work in the Spring.

Hey ruff do you have issues with ph due to the oak leaves

I use a lawn mower to blow and chop leaves. Start in the middle and begin going in a circle - blowing outwardly. Some small pieces will be left but not enough to smother the food plot species.

I'd check pH before I spent time blowing leaves off a plot. Where I've got heavy oak leaf litter, and plenty of branches that have fallen, my clover grows very well. By early summer, there's no evidence of leaves. They're still there, but they're breaking down and everything has pushed up through them. I wish I could spread an inch of bur oak leaves on every inch of plot i've got. Seven years ago, I spread a hot dose of lime under those oaks, and haven't had to reapply since.

I'd check pH before I spent time blowing leaves off a plot. Where I've got heavy oak leaf litter, and plenty of branches that have fallen, my clover grows very well. By early summer, there's no evidence of leaves. They're still there, but they're breaking down and everything has pushed up through them. I wish I could spread an inch of bur oak leaves on every inch of plot i've got. Seven years ago, I spread a hot dose of lime under those oaks, and haven't had to reapply since.
Think thats a toned down debate. Caring for oak trees makes a difference. Had 3 monster ones by my old home. Limed, fertilized, and watered some during a dry spell. I had insane amounts of deer one fall after a dry summer.

matinc,

You only know by experimenting. If clearing vs not clearing make sure it's 2 spots that get the same kinda light. Not every year, but every now and then, dig a few small holes up and see what you got for roots, soil color, insects, etc.

If you suspect your food plot is low in carbon or organic content, delifinitely helps to leave the leafs, or even push leaves into it if possible. Something I am doing with tree sites. As the leaves decompose, the breakdown produces nitrogen and reduces your carbon somewhat. Below is a study of municipal leaf litter and crops. Like most decay, it imobilizes nitrogren for a bit, then provides good nutrition. What I am suprused by in page 3 is the good addition of trace elements.

Here's another easier to rad one.

Couldn't find anything about the pH itself as it composts. Kinda interesting since leaves are collected and composted by almost any major municipality in the US. See alot of it in commercial soils for potted planted and even the apples trees I got from Lowes. Alot reading says it doesn't effect it long term. And when it breaks down, it produces organic acids, which help your plants get nutrients anyway. So, some of the temporary negative pH effects are actually positive.

Last edited:
Wow bigbore that's awesome information. Thank you for sharing with me and the group.

My personal take on leaf litter. Pissed off my wife driving home saturday from buying a big rototiller. A few houses had bags of leaves on the curb. Stuffed the bed of the truck with a few bags. She said it was stealing. These guys will be chopped into the ground while I prep apple and spruce trees site the next week or two.

My personal take on leaf litter. Pissed off my wife driving home saturday from buying a big rototiller. A few houses had bags of leaves on the curb. Stuffed the bed of the truck with a few bags. She said it was stealing. These guys will be chopped into the ground while I prep apple and spruce trees site the next week or two.

I do the same thing. I try to save several bags for summer to blend with lawn clippings and make Berkeley compost. I also like to burn a pile of leaves where I want to plant a tree to get an instant pile of ash and fine charcoal wherever the soil is a bit acidic.