TNM didn’t work. Now what?

tbarile

5 year old buck +
My clover plot was getting overgrown with grass so I decided to terminate it with Rowan Moe combination of turnips, radishes,etc. I planted it a month ago and we’ve had decent rain but only half of the plot looks good. The other half barely has anything growing. I had planned to over seed buckwheat in the spring and then re-plant clover next fall.I’m in Northeast Indiana and not sure what I can plant now that will work in the fall. Any suggestions?

The first pic is the good one the second and third are where there’s hardly anything growing

Attachments

• E84AFB19-6000-46E0-B77D-D868F4CAA5DB.jpeg
    E84AFB19-6000-46E0-B77D-D868F4CAA5DB.jpeg
    676.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 6085B925-CEFB-4B4A-8D07-35236A2C5923.jpeg
    6085B925-CEFB-4B4A-8D07-35236A2C5923.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 67
  • 8FAF3C8D-68B5-4A20-A79B-49EA302116E9.jpeg
    8FAF3C8D-68B5-4A20-A79B-49EA302116E9.jpeg
    757.6 KB · Views: 64
I agree with Scott
Winter rye will grow in the bed of a pickup.... and, it will add tons of root mass to decay next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soil test?
You may still be able to get stuff going if the soul needs to be amended. I hate it when people point that out to me, but it might be the first reason things didn't take. The second thing is clover may not be enough to be topped/terminated for T&M. You may not have enough organic matter to cover the seed to get it going.

i would get some oats in a few weeks before season. They grow fast and when they are fresh/young the deer will hit them. You can do that with the winter wheat first week of September. Keep in mind with T&M you need to go a bit heavier with the seeding rate. But make sure you put down something like 10-10-10 with everything.

Soil test?
You may still be able to get stuff going if the soul needs to be amended. I hate it when people point that out to me, but it might be the first reason things didn't take. The second thing is clover may not be enough to be topped/terminated for T&M. You may not have enough organic matter to cover the seed to get it going.

i would get some oats in a few weeks before season. They grow fast and when they are fresh/young the deer will hit them. You can do that with the winter wheat first week of September. Keep in mind with T&M you need to go a bit heavier with the seeding rate. But make sure you put down something like 10-10-10 with everything.

It was 3’ tall with grass/clover/weeds. I did TNM last year ina. Different plot with less vegetation and it turned out great. Not sure what happened this time.

If I plant WR now, what do I do through next spring and summer to keep pull N out until I plant clover in the fall?

You could try an annual clover next spring or just include some medium red clover with your rye this fall. Next spring the rye will green up and the clover will have put down some good roots this fall and fill in next spring. Then you can disc the clover into the ground next fall. You could also add some medium red and white clovers this fall in a mix and then frost seed some more white clover in the early spring. You’ll establish a good clover Plot that way and the rye will serve as a nurse crop all spring while feeding deer this winter.

If I plant WR now, what do I do through next spring and summer to keep pull N out until I plant clover in the fall?
Did you spray and kill the clover? If not, it should come up again.

Did you spray and kill the clover? If not, it should come up again.
Yes I sprayed clover
Well, you should know in a week if it was all hit/dead. If some of it stays, your fall plants will grow anyway. I mowed some of my clover/triticale/barley and rolled the rest. I've got both replanted with fall seed (purple top turnips, brassica, rape and radish) and so far so good. Plus the clover rebounded quickly after the field work (I only sprayed grasses).
f114ba6e9abecb6228948de7bb1726ab.jpg
f4cb00f5b8411dcc4e4646068fdd5a3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If it were me and I lived close enough to get there easy I’d spread more brassicas ASAP. I’d also add 2lbs/acre of red clover and 2lbs/acre of ladino white.

Then mid September I’d broadcast winter rye over everything. That’s my plan with my clover/brassicas.

Then like Someday said. More clover in the spring if it doesn’t seem like the fall clover is thick enough.
Winter wheat would work also I guess. I’ve never planted it.

Soil test is a good idea but I’m guilty of not doing it.

It is supposed to rain tomorrow so I Decided to throw down some brassica mix. I assume if I try to roll again it will kill the existing brassica that is growing correct?

It is supposed to rain tomorrow so I Decided to throw down some brassica mix. I assume if I try to roll again it will kill the existing brassica that is growing correct?

Rolling again won't hurt the existing brassica, but it probably isn't necessary.

If you didn't crawl around on your hands and knees or don't have great vision I'm ASSUMING you didn't see a whole bunch of tiny brassica plants that germinated at a different time. TNM takes patients. Mine looked the same way last year but it ended up filling in and looked amazing by the end of the first week of September. Not saying the same will hold true for you. You have to be the judge of that. If it were me I would spread some urea ASAP and over seed with winter rye about 9/15 (you will want to give the brassica as long as you can or the rye will choke it out).

^^^^^^ "TnM takes patience" is the operative phrase , particularly with poor soils or those abused with years of tillage

.....im a believer.....this will be my fourth year and I see improvement of stand each year

bill

If your failed spots were where the grass was, it Probly won’t go. Some grasses will suppress brassica for a little while live or dead. May only be a few weeks, but it’s enough you likely won’t get anything if they do eventually go.

Switch to plan R (rye).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk