Sundance Apple, round one thinning complete, yeesh!

Jhoss

5 year old buck +
8 years old. Fruited heavy and broke some branches in 2016. Took 2017 off. 2018 is a blockbuster or branchbuster if left alone. I feel like round two will come as the apple get some size on them and Sundance apples are large.2638B445-A2D5-46CB-A013-18578B4EFFBC.jpeg

That's a dandy tree. I just planted a Sundance last year. Hope mine does that well someday. What rootstock?

That's a dandy tree. I just planted a Sundance last year. Hope mine does that well someday. What rootstock?
Beats me. Gurney’s back in 2010 with a Goldrush and a Pixie Crunch

Beats me. Gurney’s back in 2010 with a Goldrush and a Pixie Crunch
Gurneys calls them by size...”standard “.

Gurneys calls them by size...”standard “.

The one I bought was from Henry Fields, and they called it standard. I questioned them, and their standard is MM111, which most of us refer to as semi dwarf.

Mine is really growing well.

I've read that Sundance keeps hanging tight after it is ripe. Have you seen that, and if you didn't pick the apples, how long would they hang?

Yes they do hang on after ripe which is late October here in SE Mich. got a note from dec 11, 2016. “..all Sundance dropped.”

Good looking tree

Great pic Jhoss !! Nice looking tree. Thanks for posting. We have 2 Sundance that are 3rd leaf now, and growing well ( on MM-111 ). It's nice to see what we may have in a few more years.
Your note on drop times - late Oct. to 2nd week of Dec. is right on target for hunting.

Great looking tree @Jhoss look forward to adding that 1 to me repertoire. :)