Staking trees

DrewMc

A good 3 year old buck
Is there a way to tell if my apple/pear trees need to be staked down? I've read some people say they do it to all their trees and some say only if necessary because it can hurt a tree that doesn't need it.

In my area it gets pretty windy so I stake everything the first few years. When trunks are a couple inches thick they are usually fine to be on there own.
Rootstock has a lot to do with it also the more dwarfing the more support it usually needs and for longer.
Be sure to leave a little play while staking so tree can naturally sway a little it helps it become strong.

Is there a way to tell if my apple/pear trees need to be staked down? I've read some people say they do it to all their trees and some say only if necessary because it can hurt a tree that doesn't need it.
Some highly dwarfing rootstock trees require permanent support. Most semi-dwarf do not. In general you only want to support a tree to keep it from breaking or uprooting. Trees need to flex. If young trees are bending too much because of fruit load, thin them.

One thing I like to do with apple trees is to limit then rather than staking them. My apple trees require cages to keep them safe from deer. I use remesh (cement wire). I simply thread a piece of rope through the wire and then back and tie the ends together. I do the same 90 degrees to the first one. This forms a square around the trunk of the tree that is about 5" on a side. The tree can flex in the wind, but if the wind gets too string, the rope will limit the amount the tree can go.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I screwed up and tied my trees tight to the stake. After a couple of years when the garden tape I used started to break my trees were like noodles, falling over against the cages. I went with a heavy string like Jack did to give them some sway, but still have several that have not "stiffen up" yet. So as it's been said above if you go with a stake leave the tree some room to sway in the wind.