Some Late blooming apples to combat late frosts

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
Here is an excerpt from an article I found on net for Kate blooming apple varieties that could help some of you guys who get hit with late frosts. Not my list but thought it would be I interesting

Suddenly, I understand why Early Transparent is probably the most common apple variety planted in our area. The tree stands up to cedar apple rust and is also less likely to be nipped by our (quite common) late spring freezes. In case you're in the market for a late-blooming apple, other choices include Arkansas Black, Bedan, Belmac, CrimsonCrisp, Gala, Golden Delicious, GoldRush, Haraldred, Honeycrisp, Indian Summer Crab, King, Melrose, Michelin, Nittany, Northern Spy, Northwest Greening, Queen Cox, Ramey York, Red Boskoop, Red Rome, Red Yorking, Rome Beauty, Sweet Sixteen, Winter Banana, Winesap, Wise, and Wolf River.

Here is the link where I got this info http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Late-blooming_apple_varieties/

This is really useful to remember. I’m sure I'm not alone in sweating out the temperature swings in late spring. So much is hanging (literally) in the balance when the temps can be so fickle. It’s wise to have some varieties that will hold back a bit until the threat of a hard frost is mostly past. My favorite varieties to bloom late, and still ripen late, are Arkansas Black, Goldrush, Honeycrisp, and Northern Spy, all of which are on this list.

Nice diggin’ aero, thanks for passing this along.

Thanks for this really helpful info, Aero !! We get the late frosts / freezes at camp too.

We have Ark. Black, Wolf River, & Goldrush - several of each. I might try to squeeze in a Sweet Sixteen after seeing a tasting video by Prof. Kent.

Thanks for this really helpful info, Aero !! We get the late frosts / freezes at camp too.

We have Ark. Black, Wolf River, & Goldrush - several of each. I might try to squeeze in a Sweet Sixteen after seeing a tasting video by Prof. Kent.
Sweet 16 are amazing and have a hint of red licorice flavor. Apples are big and juicy but they don’t hang long or store well. It’s eat em as you pick them or makes sweet cider

Last edited:
This is really useful to remember. I’m sure I'm not alone in sweating out the temperature swings in late spring. So much is hanging (literally) in the balance when the temps can be so fickle. It’s wise to have some varieties that will hold back a bit until the threat of a hard frost is mostly past. My favorite varieties to bloom late, and still ripen late, are Arkansas Black, Goldrush, Honeycrisp, and Northern Spy, all of which are on this list.

Nice diggin’ aero, thanks for passing this along.

I have all of those also but looking for more

Sweet 15 are amazing and have a hint of red licorice flavor. Apples are big and juicy but they don’t hang long or store well. It’s eat em as you pick them or makes sweet cider

Sweet sixteen was great when mixed with crabs in cider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an excerpt from an article I found on net for Kate blooming apple varieties that could help some of you guys who get hit with late frosts. Not my list but thought it would be I interesting

Suddenly, I understand why Early Transparent is probably the most common apple variety planted in our area. The tree stands up to cedar apple rust and is also less likely to be nipped by our (quite common) late spring freezes. In case you're in the market for a late-blooming apple, other choices include Arkansas Black, Bedan, Belmac, CrimsonCrisp, Gala, Golden Delicious, GoldRush, Haraldred, Honeycrisp, Indian Summer Crab, King, Melrose, Michelin, Nittany, Northern Spy, Northwest Greening, Queen Cox, Ramey York, Red Boskoop, Red Rome, Red Yorking, Rome Beauty, Sweet Sixteen, Winter Banana, Winesap, Wise, and Wolf River.

Here is the link where I got this info http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Late-blooming_apple_varieties/

Thanks Paul!

The last 5 years we have had a hard frost the last week of May. 1 year it was 18 for the low and no apples anywhere that fall. I wish there was a variety that bloomed mid June.

Thanks Paul!

The last 5 years we have had a hard frost the last week of May. 1 year it was 18 for the low and no apples anywhere that fall. I wish there was a variety that bloomed mid June.

Hey Spur, you might look into the Court Pendu Plat apple. Also called the "Wise apple" it's an extremely late blooming apple that is believed to have been grow by the Romans. Any apple that's been around for that long must have something going for it. My 3 year old tree hasn't bore any fruit yet but it was the last tree to bloom last spring.