Solar Panel on Spartan GoCam

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I love my GoCams for stand alone cell cams. But hate the battery life issue. So I got a couple 15w panels, only to find out I have to plug them into an external battery.

I've done the car battery thing, but the whole reason I want a solar panel is so I don't have to touch the camera or move a bunch of bulky equipment around. Anyone have a way to just charge the internal batteries in them? The Cuddelink solar units have 2-AA batteries to keep the camera running.

Anyone tackled this pig yet?

So you are looking for a battery? What voltage and amp-hour rating are you wanting?
Those cameras must be pigs. Most I see are running about a 2-5w panels and 15-30 watt hours of energy. The Cuddeback have a 6 cell 2.4Ah AA NiMh pack, and can hold a second.
I got excited on ebay last night which usually brings bad results, but I bought a dozen 2 watt solar panels with usb ports and a dozen 7.2v NiMh packs that come with a usb chargers. I expect I may end up doubling them up, and after spending fuel and days fixing my experiment wish I would have just spent the money on the cuddebacks.

I just ran mine with an external battery in a metal box designed for that purpose. Mine was watching a hog trap and I had the whole rig mounted on a 4x4 post. In two years I never had to change batteries.

I have just one with the solar panel and battery w/case combo that they sell. Expensive even on sale but again I just needed one. They use Interstate batteries.

Other cams I have some of these with the batteries built in...have 2 cams plugged in on some of them. https://www.herd360.com/collections...power-packs/products/solar-power-pack-spp1025

Last edited:
7F9BACA3-F83E-4BF3-B6E6-F5D90C812495.jpeg
I’m running a 12v. I’ve had it running since Christmas and I’m happy with it. I think I’ve brought it back to the shop and charged it 3 times since then even though it wasn’t all the way dead