All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I cultipack before planter?

Garrett2006

5 year old buck +
After tilling a few times to break new ground and turn out, applying lime and fertilizer, discing that in couple passes. Should I cultipack the field before using a 2 row corn planter? Been told that the soil could end up being to soft to run the planter over. The planter has shoes not disc openers and also, has a wide foot pan as a depth gauge. What’s y’alls experience on this? Thanks

Attachments

• 68DA02AF-FF51-4044-971A-FA01DAC2F146.jpeg
    68DA02AF-FF51-4044-971A-FA01DAC2F146.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 52
  • 39A0381C-57D9-4A20-8EC7-2AE28BAC5690.png
    39A0381C-57D9-4A20-8EC7-2AE28BAC5690.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 54
The only time I cultipacked before planting was when planting small seed like clover that called for 1/4 - 1/2" planting depth.

^^^^ Same here.

^^^^ xTres

I wouldnt as good as that surface looks. If there were more, bigger dirt clods, I would have.

Skip the cultipacking step.

Should I rake it before planting? Still some grass clumps here and there.

Attachments

• 2903D223-5299-43AA-9C65-D5AF86432B88.jpeg
    2903D223-5299-43AA-9C65-D5AF86432B88.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 31
Your field looks better than a lot of the fields around here that are planted. Although the new planters have trash cutters so they can likely deal with residue much better than the older planters.

I'd just plant it as it is and see what happens.

That looks like a well prepared bed

I would not cultipack first unless you are broadcasting small seed like clover

Love the way plots look after cultipacking

bill

Cultipacking can do several things. It can press seed into the ground. It can break up clods after disking. It can press air pockets out of the soil. It can put an irregular surface on the field helping rain get to root level rather than running off the field.

Looking at that picture, I certainly would not cultipack before you plant, but you could cultipack after planting the corn.

Thanks,

Jack

I use a plate planter (Ford 309) similar to like you show all the time. I only pack AFTER I have planted simply to ensure the furrow is closed. I actually just run over the furrow with the tractor (small tractor). If your using a tiller you should be fine. Simply watch to ensure the planter doesn't snag a large clod of sod or the like - that makes a mess.

yours look just like mine that I turned this weekend and I never cultipack before I plant.big plot.jpg

Nova - Your soil looks great !! ^^^^ Are you in the sandy part of Minn. or is that just good loamy soil with little sand ??

Nova - Your soil looks great !! ^^^^ Are you in the sandy part of Minn. or is that just good loamy soil with little sand ??

It's a sandy loam is the description I have been given on my soil samples. It does dry out pretty quickly with no rain. I grind a bunch of pigweed and ragweed into it for OM :(