Sandbur ..... Dolgo applesauce?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
When you make Dolgo applesauce or from any of the smaller crabapples how do you go about it? Cut off the stems, maybe the blossom end and then grind them seeds and all? I know you have referenced making sauce before. Fill us in on the details please. Thanks

When you make Dolgo applesauce or from any of the smaller crabapples how do you go about it? Cut off the stems, maybe the blossom end and then grind them seeds and all? I know you have referenced making sauce before. Fill us in on the details please. Thanks

I usually pull the stems off and rinse them. Cook them in a small amount of water and run them through what we call a foley food processor. Our model belonged to my Grandmother. I will try and get a picture.

Winter dessert for me is often about one half cup of apple sauce in a tall glass, milk, and no calorie sweetener. I prefer dolgo or chestnut sauce. Maybe cinnamon or nutmeg with the chestnut, maybe a bit of vanilla, maybe nothing else added. Dolgo does not need any spice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foley food mill is probably the name. It looks like a medium kettle with a crank on top and holes in the bottom.

Some seeds get ground and some get separated out. There are some skins and seeds that you clean out of the mill.

That is the mill.

How long do you have to cook the apples for?

How long do you have to cook the apples for?

Until they are soft. It can’t be difficult since I can do it!

How long would depend on kettle size and how many apples. Just cook’em until they are soft.

Here is the antique we use.

d3c6d9a0db397d1d1c3c0a301d11e465.jpg

The old stuff is thick metal and as durable as heck.

I use the old metal cone-shaped, funnel-looking gadget that has a round, wooden pointed "masher" that you rotate around inside the metal cone. No parts to rust or corrode, no metal-to-metal abrasion, easy clean-up and makes great sauce. It was Mom's, I'm using it, and it can be passed beyond my sons to their kids.

I have to say - I can't wait to throw some Dolgo's into my sauce mix.

I use the old metal cone-shaped, funnel-looking gadget that has a round, wooden pointed "masher" that you rotate around inside the metal cone. No parts to rust or corrode, no metal-to-metal abrasion, easy clean-up and makes great sauce. It was Mom's, I'm using it, and it can be passed beyond my sons to their kids.

I have to say - I can't wait to throw some Dolgo's into my sauce mix.

Try the Dolgos straight.

My wife says she wants over 50 bags of frozen apple sauce. We don’t even talk about making it from large apples. We prefer dolgo and chestnut.

Camp doesn't have enough trees of sufficient age to produce lots of apples / crabs yet. I buy from local orchards for sauce - but I'll try throwing in some Dolgo & chestnut crabs for extra flavor !! Our oldest "new" trees are 5th leaf this year.

My wife made the first batch of dolgo applesauce today. She even color coordinated it with the bowl.
c33870c74c430b2e77fbeb80652496b2.jpg

I had an applesauce milk shake for desert.
b88ec64a74610bc43bd835c9a338406c.jpg

I suppose I should get with the game and call it a smoothie.

Milk, sugar substitute, and apple sauce.

My dolgo apples are still hanging and they are improving taste wise even more.

My dolgo apples are still hanging and they are improving taste wise even more.

My wife and I feel we rushed the season just a bit on the applesauce and probably on the cider.

I made some chestnut sauce today.

I picked my dolgos last week. Only a 5th leaf tree so there weren't too many. But I wanted to get SOME before the critters got them all. So I jumped the gun a bit too but an apple in the mouth is worth two in the tree. Or something like that.

My wife and I feel we rushed the season just a bit on the applesauce and probably on the cider.

I picked my dolgos last week. Only a 5th leaf tree so there weren't too many. But I wanted to get SOME before the critters got them all. So I jumped the gun a bit too but an apple in the mouth is worth two in the tree. Or something like that.

Some say the early bird gets the worm(y apple)! ;)