Rootstock

I'd plant them as soon as possible. I've planted a large number of bare root apple trees over the years and I've never had any issues with planting them too early. One year the ground was still frozen and I had to use a pick axe to dig a few of the holes to get them in the ground. The trees did great.
I have worried about air pockets around the roots of the ground is frozen.

Maybe I am too paranoid about cedar apple rust, but this experiment would be better for someone who does not have that problem. One is being planted, and I'll see what happens. Likely topwork the tree afterwards, if cedar apple rust is pretty bad

Cedar trees turn this year. Got the purple / orange plums of apple misery on the trees. Spraying cooper on them next week.

Mehrabyan nurseries still has their rootstocks for sale. Getting my 1st order from them likely tomorrow. They were fine with me canceling my order last year when I tore my bicep.
Just picked up my order from them today. 85 apple rootstock. Mix of anty and m111. Looks like good stuff—grafting tomorrow. Surik was great to do business with. Highly recommend.

I have worried about air pockets around the roots of the ground is frozen.
Sandbar , any idea how long a tree will live , if planted with air pockets by mistake ?.

Sandbar , any idea how long a tree will live , if planted with air pockets by mistake ?.
How long ago did you plant the trees? If there's air pockets I think it just won't grow roots right there. If you can get water to the trees, fill the hole with water and things should settle

I don’t have the answer, but I had poor luck with transplanting spruce with partially frozen ground.

Gis4,

I am in the hudson valley NY. about a 3-4 hour drive from ithaca. Shipping would of been $21 for 20 rootstocks only. Shipping went up to $50 when I added 5 grafted apple trees and 3 mulberry trees.

Will likely be only ordering rootstocks for the next 2 or 3 years. I got 20 3 gallon and 6 5 gallon air pruning pots. Digging up trees well in heavy clay is a real pain. I almost lost a boot in there a few weeks ago.

Another vote for putting the plants in when you get them. I dug up my trees to put up in old USDA zone 3 hunting camp. The basement can be in low 50's, and weather has been a yo-yo the past 2 weeks here in NY, 60's then a few days later low teens. All the buds started popping up in my basement. LAst week they got over a foot of snow up at camp. This weekend I got folks over for easter. I got alot of happy hunters up at work. Gave away most of my Kerr's, redfield, 5ft tall antonovka seedlings, and some domestic apple and transcendent crabapple seedlings.

Planted 2 6ft tall 30-06 on B118 and one kerr on anty up at the farrmland I hunt a half way drive to camp. Moved a few treestand around too.

I looked at 2 ir pruner potted plants I put in last december. I waited too long and I think they got frozen. The big dog on M111 looked dead. Blue pearmain on M111 looked alive, the lower buds looked alive and the top ones looked pretty dormant.

How long ago did you plant the trees? If there's air pockets I think it just won't grow roots right there. If you can get water to the trees, fill the hole with water and things should settle
It's just a general question. I know to try and avoid air pockets , I was just wondering if the tree would die shortly after planting, or can live a few months or years before the air pocket takes it's toll.

Just picked up my order from them today. 85 apple rootstock. Mix of anty and m111. Looks like good stuff—grafting tomorrow. Surik was great to do business with. Highly recommend.
Got their order Saturday. Was able to plant the 5 apple trees. 3 galarina on m111, sundance on m7, and enterprise on m111. He seems to have alot of m111 trees. Roots looked good. box seemed ok. Smaller branches were broken n the trees, nothing horrible. I prune my trees well, so most of them would of been gone anyway.

Haven't opened the roostock bundle. There a few meaty monsters in that roostock. Hopefully there's a big M111 I can use to make a 2nd sundance from the tree. I nipped off some of the top.

Will play with them tomorrow. Got 3 mulberry to graft to northrup scion material. A zone 3 mulberry. Be nice trail camera footage on grouse, snowshoe hare, and maybe even early black bear hunt too in september.