repurposing artificial Christmas trees

JFK52

5 year old buck +
My wife worked at a large retail department store in Madison, WI. After Christmas, there was a employee drawing to see who would get the artificial Christmas trees that were used for displays in the store. She won a 7 foot tree. I own and operate a tree farm, so it was immediately stored in a corner of the garage. I finally got around to cleaning out that corner and wanted to do something with the Christmas tree. I decided to take all 13 strings of lights off the tree. What a job, took over 2-1/2 hours.

I am going to snip the wire of the branches where they attach to the center pole of the tree and use them for 3-D camo on a couple of ground blinds on my land. As the background to these blinds is an area of Frazier firs, I believe this project will work our well. The outside blind walls are painted brown. This will not only give another color to the blind but it will give it some depth and texture. I hope the deer are impressed. I plan on using a utility stapler and stapling across the wire of the branches at two or three points to the wall. These branches will never rot or turn brown like a regular tree. I can arrange them in patterns especially around the windows of the blinds. I normally use military surplus camo netting around my stands, but thought this would be something different to try.

I have looked through Craigslist and found that used artificial Christmas trees can be bought for $5-$10. I would advise buying one without lights if possible. I just watched the Packers game while taking off the strings of lights.

i took one that had the individual branches and I use them on some of my stands. I use fencing nails to hold up the branches. They work great! I nail the branches in the trees.

I cut branches from live trees that I know will hold their leaves and strap/tie/wire them to stands and blinds all the time - never gone the artificial route but I know lots of folks do - I don't have conifers to speak of so it would look a bit out of place. I really like adding cover behind me to help reduce being skylined in a stand.

Just a suggestion - I would wrap some tape or put some sort of cap on those wire ends to help prevent them from tearing hole sin you blind or snagging on clothes and the like. Just something where a little extra time now may save you some headache later. Take some before and after pics of your blind.

I have an enclosed ground box blind with sliding windows. All the individual branches will be on the outside of the blind on a wall that is painted solid brown now. It should help break up the outline. Since I have a solid grove of Frazier firs behind both ground blinds, I think this would look very natural. It is on my job list, which seems to grow ever longer especially now that I want to do some actual deer hunting. Going to try stapling the branches first, as it should go quicker.

There you go - I think they will work great for the purpose you have in mind. Not sure how well they will hold up against UV and the like - but at least for the short term it should help. I personally don't think it makes a difference. I have box blinds with SMV flags waving in the breeze on them that stick out like a billboard and the deer tracks do everything but go right under them. The deer respond to them much more with the increase of human activity and THEN associate them with danger. The camo won't hurt, but it won't make up for other shortfalls in access route planning and scent control in my opinion.