All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red root pigweed

My results are the same but I used full tillage. I’m wondering if the brassica is better at scavenging nutrients? My plot was split in half last year half cereal half brassica. Last years brassica plot has noticeably better germination compared to the half that was in rye and winter wheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a camera currently on that plot? You have enough turkeys around that they may have been bugging in the rye one week and robbing you of soybean seed the next?
You mean these guys? Interesting theory. After a couple year drop off their numbers seem to have rebounded well.IMG_20180625_220424.jpg

My results are the same but I used full tillage. I’m wondering if the brassica is better at scavenging nutrients? My plot was split in half last year half cereal half brassica. Last years brassica plot has noticeably better germination compared to the half that was in rye and winter wheat.

When did you terminate your grains? I hit mine as they were beginning to make seed. I have to imagine that the 2-3 weeks leading up to that when the grains really reach for the sky quickly that they must use quite a bit of water. Maybe this leaves the soil moisture short right at the same time a new crop is being planted.

If they were already using that food plot as a food source prior to planting, it would be easy pickings, and they are ravenous once they find the seed.

When did you terminate your grains? I hit mine as they were beginning to make seed. I have to imagine that the 2-3 weeks leading up to that when the grains really reach for the sky quickly that they must use quite a bit of water. Maybe this leaves the soil moisture short right at the same time a new crop is being planted.

When it was around 20" tall and no seed hears forming.

If they were already using that food plot as a food source prior to planting, it would be easy pickings, and they are ravenous once they find the seed.
Could very well be.

I don't think brassicas are really any better at general nutrient scavenging than cereal rye. In fact, when you compare the root systems of a single rye plant with that of a single radish tuber, the widespread and fibrous root system of the rye can pull in nutrients from a larger amount of underground area that it can absorb nutrients from, and can easily go 5' or more deep, when compared to the single "tap root" of a tuber, even though the tuber root may go deeper. That said, a tuber is a better "container" for storing those scavenged nutrients. Most studies have shown that the optimum cover crop for scavenging leached nutrients is a combination of cereal rye and some type of brassica. This is true of both corn and soybean yield trials.

It may also be that the brassicas will scavenge and store slightly higher amounts of micros than rye. If you really want to get the most out of your cover crop scavenging ability, plant some buckwheat with the rye and brassica, BW is one of the best at scavenging P from the top 15" to 18" of the soil profile.

Last edited:
I got a really good burn down on the RRP and the beans:emoji_disappointed:, but I knew that would happen. The thing I didn't know is the corn in this plot was planted at 2 different times(on purpose for a test). The older corn a foot or so tall has all fallen over, the younger corn seems to be doing fine. The label does say spray corn when it is less than 8" tall and now I know why. Going to wait another week and see if any new RRP germinates. If not I will replant beans.back plot.jpg

Checked my one plot in iola and i found maybe 5 pigweed plants.

So my smothering it with heavy seeded clover seems to have worked. Overseeded clover last fall and heavy on frost seeding.

Plot at home i did the same thing ^ but pigweed came back until it met 24db and a few mowings.

There is a guy down the road ten miles that has a big pumpkin patch that was full pigweed. Going to see how it does as i drive by it alot.

Good luck

The replant of the beans on July 8th is going well. No sign of RRP(or any weeds for that matter), the beans are coming in nicely and the corn that survived the 2-4D is doing wellwest plot 2 7-18.jpgback plot 7-18.jpg

The eagle beans that didn't have RRP in them are doing fantastic with tons of flowers on them.eagle 7-18-2018.jpg

Are you planning on top dressing those late planted beans with brassica and or cereal grains?

Are you planning on top dressing those late planted beans with brassica and or cereal grains?
Yep, winter rye in September

How things looking?

Pigweed by my house plots is giving me some grief but not bad. I hand pick a few here and there when i get a chance to check on plots. I am winning the battle compared to last year in my eyes .

Even had some in a small area along a flower bed here that I scratched up and planted grass seed... That pigweed sure likes to follow me around.

Iola... Hand picked 5 plants probably.. No chemicals sprayed. Just heavy seeded clover and mow when i can.