Recommended Vines?

Yarg

5 year old buck +
I performed a lot of hinge cuts this past winter. One of my goals was to establish thickets for bedding and Browsing. What would be the best native Vine to introduce here in New York to help those efforts along..thanks

I don't know to what degree ya'll have native wild grapes up in NY but muscadines and/or scuppernongs come to mind. They grow everywhere on my property, deer will brows the leaves, and they make a good bit of fruit that everything seems to enjoy eating. I save the seeds, store in the freezer over winter, and plant wherever they have enough sun and something to vine onto...they grow fast. Smilax (greenbriar) and honeysuckle are others to consider if they'll grow in your zone.

Last edited:
I haven't given vines much consideration. Vines are hard to control and maintain and are less cover after dropping leaves. Once vines get up into the canopy, it can be tough to safely cut down trees. But i have busted deer out of grape thickets in winter so they can be good cover with the right structure for to grow on.

Wild grape, poison ivy, virginia creeper would be the vines most common for my property.

I would consider shrubs before vines..... vines just get out of control too easily. They tend to smoother and break down whatever is supporting them. I do have some honey suckle vine growing on a woven wire fence as part of a screening project, but I mow right up next to it as well to try to contain it.

Vines suck.
I could not agree more!!! I would like to shoot the damn birds that are spreading grape vines all over my property. Royal PIA to control them.

Vines suck.
I could not agree more!!! I would like to shoot the damn birds that are spreading grape vines all over my property. Royal PIA to control them.
Its not just grapes that suck. Mile-a-Minute and Oriental bittersweet are also PIA.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Would like to hear expierence opinions on this. It is not in my area.

This is from Grandview Outdoors Whitetail Journal
Be careful, though. Some non-natives are actually beneficial. Japanese honeysuckle, for instance, provides high-quality browse through the toughest part of winter. In fact, some biologists credit the plant with the high populations of whitetails in parts of the Northeast where winter kills used to decimate deer numbers. Like any invasive plant, honeysuckle can become a problem if it starts to choke out native plants. It and other beneficial non-natives can be kept in check through mowing or spraying when needed.

Would like to hear expierence opinions on this. It is not in my area.

This is from Grandview Outdoors Whitetail Journal
Be careful, though. Some non-natives are actually beneficial. Japanese honeysuckle, for instance, provides high-quality browse through the toughest part of winter. In fact, some biologists credit the plant with the high populations of whitetails in parts of the Northeast where winter kills used to decimate deer numbers. Like any invasive plant, honeysuckle can become a problem if it starts to choke out native plants. It and other beneficial non-natives can be kept in check through mowing or spraying when needed.
That supports what I see......it can support deer, but can also easily take over. You have to consider the control not just now, but what happens when you are not able to maintain it later......it goes nuts and is now a real problem.

Reactions: Tap
Would be a hit if you could plant a sterile one that could not spread.

The last thing I would plant for habitat is a vine. have spent 20 years trying to get rid of them. I have killed some that were 3" in diameter.

I can't see how vines can improve under story as it would restrict movement and provide little or no canopy cover. They have to attach and grow on something else which they will eventually kill. Personally I would plant shrubs & conifers.

Reactions: Tap