All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ratchet Straps

gwm

5 year old buck +
I have a few Big Game stands that I need to replace the straps on. Big Game does sell a replacement ratchet strap for about $10 but I'm assuming I can find a better deal than that.

I see Sportsmans Guide sells a 4 pack for $20 that gets good reviews. Has anyone used ratchet straps from Farm n Fleet or Tractor Supply?

I buy ratchet straps from Menards. No matter where you buy them they should have a poundage rating.

Thanks TC.

I think I found a 4 pack at TS I'm going to get. 1,500 lb breaking strength and 500lb working load.

are you referring to the main 2 inch wide strap with the j hooks that came with the stand?? I would not recommend one inch strap with a 500lb working load. I just bought some 2 inch ratchet straps at cabelas for 9.99 a piece on sale. They are of high quality.

I'll have to look up where, but I bought straps from someplace a couple years ago...decent price, stainless hardware, heavy duty choice of strap color and ends. I found them with a Google search. I'll try to find it in the next day or 2.

are you referring to the main 2 inch wide strap with the j hooks that came with the stand?? I would not recommend one inch strap with a 500lb working load. I just bought some 2 inch ratchet straps at cabelas for 9.99 a piece on sale. They are of high quality.

Yes, the main strap. The Big Game replacement strap that Cabelas sells is also a 1" strap. I didn't see a 2" strap.

I did find the bigger 2" strap. Cabelas sells a couple different 1" treestand replacement straps and I overlooked the 2".

Tractor supply has a big multi pack on sale for $20 right now. I want say there was 8 plus some bungee cords.

I'll have to look up where, but I bought straps from someplace a couple years ago...decent price, stainless hardware, heavy duty choice of strap color and ends. I found them with a Google search. I'll try to find it in the next day or 2.

Okay, here's where I got them. These cost a little more that the cheapo crap, but they are heavy duty stainless. And they come in olive color. I don't like black straps...they stick out like a sore thumb.
These are made to order so you can get the options you need. Depending on what you want, they are around $13 each. They will last a lot longer than non-stainless straps. Well worth the price when you're hanging from a tree.
https://www.shipperssupplies.com/1-heavy-duty-endless-loop-ratchet-strap

these are better.. I don't believe a one inch strap is enough. I question the working load limit on the ones shown. I would not get in a tree unless it's a 2 inch strap. it is your life. I have always, used a 2 inch strap and right below it a regular one inch menards type strap as a just in case.

http://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-camo-ratchet-strap-wire-hooks

I would never tell anybody not to do whatever they think is necessary to keep themselves safe. I do wear a harness and tie off to the tree when I am in the stand. With that being said I have never had a 1" nylon ratchet strap break on a hang on stand. I will say I do use two separate straps but that is more to keep the stand from wiggling, one high strap and one lower.

I have used those 1" straps for a number of "unconventional" uses and I am pretty sure the load capacity as it appears is under rated for law suit sakes.

I typically use 1" straps but I always use two of them like Turkey Creek. Typically one strap will have more stress than the other. In the case of a catastrophic failure (left on too long and tree grows, squirrel finds it tasty, or whatever) when I'm in the tree, the second strap keeps the stand in place allowing me to descend safely. While a single 2" strap may be stronger an less likely to fail, if it does fail, I may be stuck hanging from my harness with no easy means of decent until rescue arrives. Even with a pressure relief strap and a parachute harness, you can only last so long. While you heart is strong enough to pump blood to your legs through the strap pressure, there is not enough return pressure to get back past the strap to the heart. Time matters. There are other decent system options but make sure you have one.

Thanks,

Jack

Watch the farm and fleet sales flyer. You can get a HEAVY 2" strap (only one, not a pack of them) for $9. They are something like 5000 lb straps. That's the only non-chain that I'm willing to risk my life on.

But as I get older I seem to worry more :)

-John

these are better.. I don't believe a one inch strap is enough. I question the working load limit on the ones shown. I would not get in a tree unless it's a 2 inch strap. it is your life. I have always, used a 2 inch strap and right below it a regular one inch menards type strap as a just in case.

http://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-camo-ratchet-strap-wire-hooks

Here's some 2" with a variety of options to choose from including stainless hardware.
https://www.shipperssupplies.com/2-build-your-ratchet-strap
But in reality, no strap is as safe as chain.

I only use ladder stands so I'm perfectly comfortable using 1" ratchet straps, the pull to tighten ones that come with the stands are junk. Hang on stands, whole different ballgame.

Now I'm debating what strap again. I have around 20 hang-ons with about half being these Big Game stands. I replaced all the cables with chains and want to change out the straps also. The straps I'm changing out have a few years on them but I also can't stand the friction buckle strap (if that's what it's called) that these stands use. My Lone Wolf and Millennium stands use a 1" strap and I just changed out a Gorilla stand with the Cabela's treestand replacement strap which is also a 1" strap.

I haven't had any issues, knock on wood, with the 1" straps but I will admit I do like the idea of a 2" strap with stainless hardware.

all straps are subject to damage from UV, and NONE are made to be on a tree for any amount of time
MOST all MFG"s don't recommend a stand be a tree for more than a few weeks, IF that~
I know FEW that follow this , most take for granted they can set up before the season and run them till ????
the main reason WHY MFG"s don' t suggest being on a tree long is, a TREE is constantly growing, and the amount of power the tree can place on welds and straps is HUGE, add is load stress when your IN the stand, and things can exceed the ratings for the parts they use in the stands!
SO< keep this in mind!

when buying straps, the game shouldn't be CHEAP< it should be quality
amount of leverage you can apply to a loc on stand when your in it can easy surpass what you weight and then some
I personally use 1500+ lb working load rated straps and use TWO to every stand
and I never leave straps up more than a month or so!?

old saying better safe than sorry!
known a few guys that had bad falls from stands, and only tales one to be sorry