All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions to ask my county forester?

Seriously

Yearling... With promise
Ok...so I have a meeting with my county forester this Monday and it occurred to me that I'm not sure what to discuss with him. I planned on explaining my goals and hopes for the property but beyond that I'm not sure what to ask...I have some loggable timber but it is scattered (oaks mainly). I know I need to take out some trees as my woods are very park like
Any things you would consider "need to ask" questions or concerns...I would appreciate any input from someone who has been there...thanks!

I don't know Michigan, but here in VA, the county foresters are a great resource for general information. When our guy came he was already familiar with the tract because it was owned by a paper company. The first thing he did was to get us into a cost-sharing program because the paper company, knowing it was selling, did not spray the young pines when they should have. We ended up with areal spraying. He was able to look at our pines and tell us approximately how many years before each stand would be ready for a commercial thinning. He was able to give us a list of private foresters to interview with a wink and nod about a few on the list to check out and a few to ignore.

Some good things to discuss are things like any water quality or other issues associated with logging your particular property. He can probably give you an idea if the amount of timber you have is worth it for folks to bid on. In our area, the county forester is telling private landowners with smaller acreage to plant pines and wider spacing because it is hard to find a logger that will thin them commercially.

Best of luck,

jack

Consider getting a cruise done right off the bat. If you have an inventory by species, grade, and volume it might help you form a plan with forester's help. Share your goals with him/her and they'll likely be able to guide the dialogue for how best to proceed.

My state forester wanted to talk in general terms and I wanted specific answers - I turned to many folks on the forum. I was very surprised that my state folks essentially talked one way or the other and there was little common ground - I wanted that balance. With working closely with my loggers and k own g what I wanted I eventually got there. Main things to discuss are what trees have a market right now and do you have enough of them in a size to making logging of interest. Also discuss selective cut and clear cut methods and possible access and loading deck areas. This is all still general but it can smooth the path with a forester or logger.

The know the commercial people in the industry. Try and get a feel for a good consultant forester. It will pay in the long run.

Why don't you state your goals so people can understand ... if your woods are "park like" why do you feel the need for a Forrester?

Funny, I think of ecosystem diversity and deer habitat as one in the same. While monocultures are easier to manage from a commercial perspective, the "patch work" concept was as way to try to get ecosystem diversity but still have reasonably efficient commercial management. One of the best things you can have for deer is a broad variety of forest succession in proximity.

Thanks,

jack