All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question ... What media files?

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Was trying to upload a wmv file and could not.

What media/video files are supported for uploading on Habitat?

Do you want to post a trailcam video?

Yes, it is an AVI file not recognized. Converted to mp4 and wmv ... nothing ...

What are options other than vimeo & YouTube?

Might be able to upload it here using tapatalk, but not sure though. I always use youtube.

I've had no luck when trying to upload videos here with Tapatalk. Ended up using YouTube. If someone knows how to upload them directly here please share.

The admin for the forum can decide what formats are allowed for upload. I never upload pictures or video directly to this forum. Here is why. John is currently running this forum using the same shared hosting service I'm using for a small private web site. I had my web site set up so I could upload all my trail camera pictures. Only co-owners and guest of our farm had access to the site so I wasn't worried about poachers using the information against me.

At any rate, I got an email from them one day saying there was a problem with the site. Before I could respond, they shut down the site. While the technical support folks were very polite and accommodating, the site admins would not turn the site back on. Even though the service was "Unlimited", they pointed to some fine print in the Terms of Service that basically said that they could deny service at any time if their site admins decided that anything you were doing jeopardized performance of other users. The decided that my trail camera pictures were in some way doing that. Even though I pointed out that the offered free picture gallery software and forums that did the exact same thing they did not budge. They forced me to remove all the trail camera pictures and swear I would not put them back on the site before they would turn it on. They said I was using the site as an archive even though all of the pictures could be accessed from the web site just like the picture galleries and forums they offered.

The only other solution they offered was to move my site to a significantly more expensive tier of service that uses a hypervisor to run multiple copies of the operating system on the server one for each user. The hypervisor partitions the hardware and your site performance is limited by the amount of hardware you lease. They told me that if the amount of traffic gets high enough this kind of service will slow down the end user based on the hardware allocation. Eventually, one would need to lease a private server if you wanted reasonable performance with high traffic.

I would like to see Habitat-Talk become the de facto place to go for sharing QDM information. John assures me that he is committed to supporting this site and growing it as needed to become just that without advertising. The QDMA budget for their web was in the 10s of thousands per year. That included there entire web site as well as forums but it gives you an idea of how expensive it is to operate a high traffic site.

I would like to keep John's cost down and the performance of this forum up as long as possible before he must upgrade. To that end the more picture and videos that are posted to places like photobucket, imgr, youtube, etc. and then linked to this site, the better.

Thanks,

Jack

I was able to upload a vid through Tapatalk. I used the icon that was just right of the camera icon. It was a 10sec trailcam vid and it was fairly easy. The vid was embedded through vimeo but I don't have a vimeo account?
Edit:the vid was MP4 and 11.58mb.

Last edited:
I was able to upload a vid through Tapatalk. I used the icon that was just right of the camera icon. It was a 10sec trailcam vid and it was fairly easy. The vid was embedded through vimeo but I don't have a vimeo account?

So that means you didn't really upload the video to Habitat-Talk. You uploaded the video to vimeo and the link to a Habitat-Talk post trough Tapatalk if I understand your correctly.

Thanks,

Jack

I did everything through tapatalk, what happened after that, I don't know. I'll repost the vid through tapa.

If you edit your post with the video, you'll be able to see the URL where the actual video is located. If it said through vimeo, I'd presume that is where the video was parked. If you get a chance, edit that post entry and take a look at the reference.

Thanks,

jack

Yes, it's vimeo. Tapatalk must run it through there.

That's great. It sound like an easy way for folks to post videos without having an impact on the site!

If you edit your post you can see the bbcode (verses rich text) that references the video in your post. They will give you the URL indicating where it is stored. You could use that URL to find it.

I tried uploading a video through Tapatalk but I'm getting an error message "Upload Fail. The video is failed to upload due to network error." Happening on wifi and 4g. Also tried to embed it through photobucket but it looks like photobucket isn't supported for video embed. Works fine for photos though.

Testing video upload via Tapatalk

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Looks like you got it figured out....now you need some audio;);) I tired to upload an avi video but it wasn't happening, not supported or something like that. My phone couldn't play it either and that may have been the problem with the upload?

Even though everything looked "normal" on Tapatalk I tried logging out and then back in. After that it worked.

Audio is super cool but not happening on this camera. It's a cheap WGI camera that has a noticeable "click" when taking pictures. I use it on one of my plots in video mode only and the deer don't seem to be bothered by it.

How long did it take to upload it?