Pruning oops

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
During pruning, I was using a dull cutters, and the branch swung down and the bark peeled back about an inch lower, I cut bark up where the branch is, and kind of left the flap hanging I didnt have anything else with me to repair it, and I wouldnt know how to anyhow. Should I fix it? Will it heal on its own? I didnt take any pictures, if I should fix it, how do I?

These are roughly 3 year old trees.

Uh-oh. That tree is dead.
Just kidding. Get a sharp knife and cut the bark wound clean. It should heal fine. You can also cut wound off, if possible.

It will have to wait a couple weeks, I wont be back up there until then. I hope that wont be a big problem? Being there is still a couple feet of snow on the ground, but temps are suppose to get into the 50's next week, so things will probably start thawing quick.

If it is left the way it is, will it invite a disease?

You will be fine. I would do as Kent recommended and clean them up the best you can and hope for the best. My apple trees are frequently pruned brutally by bears and while it can really set them back, it rarely causes death.

I did have a bear prune one of my trees, he took out a limb that should have been pruned anyhow, and he left the tree a little tore up. I pruned it back a ways, with hopes it will come back god this year.

Trees are tough critters! Younger trees are, like children, more susceptible to problems, disease, and death.
But, yes, wounds in bark can give access to insects and disease.

Easy @Prof.Kent , morbid man................ :emoji_innocent: