All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plums maybe?

Seabee

A good 3 year old buck
Can anyone help identify? I have a few of these on my place. I am guessing they were part of a wildlife package I bought from the state about 10 years ago. Was thinking plum but I am really not sure.

yum, plums they be.......

Looks like plum!

Thanks, fellas. They sure don't taste like plums yet…lol

American (Native) plums rarely do! I trick myself into trying one every year because the can look so good on the bush.:eek: I have heard the bitterness is in the skin only. Plum jelly is good, but lots of things can be made good with enough sugar added.

Seabee - do you see the deer eating them? My fear would be the coons and the like would get to them before the deer. I am considering planting some on my place, but I want them for the deer....not to feed coons! I have paw-paw and some folks are trying to grow them for deer.....I never see one hit the ground.....coons get them first.

Seabee - do you see the deer eating them? My fear would be the coons and the like would get to them before the deer. I am considering planting some on my place, but I want them for the deer....not to feed coons! I have paw-paw and some folks are trying to grow them for deer.....I never see one hit the ground.....coons get them first.

No, the deer have not touched them. Which is why I wanted to verify what they were. I am completely out of room for planting things so, if I want another fruit tree, something has to give. The plums will be coming out to make room for persimmons.

No, the deer have not touched them. Which is why I wanted to verify what they were. I am completely out of room for planting things so, if I want another fruit tree, something has to give. The plums will be coming out to make room for persimmons.
Wow - I always read that wild plums where great for deer.....I considered planting some on my place.....

Deer do usually browse the plum suckers pretty well, and they usually grow into a nice thick patch that deer like to bed near.

Wow - I always read that wild plums where great for deer.....I considered planting some on my place.....
I have found little interest by deer in the fruit here, now the coyotes and coons are a different story. Can be good bedding cover.