Please Help this Newbie with Apple Tree Planting

Hopefully, this is the last of the questions from me until I get the catalog on trees. What do you guys buy for tree stakes as well as to stake down the fencing?
I rip treated 2x4's into thirds. Put a point on one end, good to go. I use one stake for the tree and the cage. I make my cages different than most. I use 6' wire and cut at 6'. I let the deer prune what ever grows through the cage.

I didn't read through the above responses but if it was not mentioned, make sure you don't buy Dwarf trees. I'd recommend Semi-Dwarf. Also, cage and mulch your trees after planting. Cage with welder wire fence that is 5ft high. If you don't cage, you will regret it because the deer will get to them. Keep cages on for 5-6 years. Also, buy trees from a reputable nursery and buy Disease Resistent only that drop through hunting season. Also, get familiar with a spraying program. Just because the trees are DR, they still need spraying. Look into Pear trees tree. They are easier to grow and deer love Pears.

You will certainly get apples without spraying, but there will be a big difference if the tree is sprayed vs not sprayed. It all depends on how picky you are and how much effort you are willing to put into your trees. Very true about Pears. Some zones you won't be able to grow Pears.

I have made two great batches of apple sauce and two delicious pies so far this year. No spray on these trees. Just don't use the ones with worm holes. The deer get those and everyone is happy. The only thing I spray is when the young trees get aphids on them.

One of those regional things. While pears may indeed be easier to grow in zone 5b and higher, they certainly are not in zones 4b and lower.

Have you ever looked into the pear variety Luscious? It has grown pretty far north.

My hats off to you guys that make it work so far north having to deal with cold/sand/bears, puts my little orchard problems into perspective fast.

Agree with Stu on post #29 about staking concrete re-mesh cages. If you don't have a bear problem, no stakes required. We have bears, so we stake with 1/2" re-bar and aren't shy with it !! Good luck.