Please help identify this substance on leafs

OhioJeremy

A good 3 year old buck
Hello everyone!
I was walking the orchard this afternoon and came across this very strange yellowish substance on some leaves. The tree is a dwarf lodi planted in the Spring. Anybody got a clue what this is?20180822_170648.jpgThe tree is a newly planted Dwarf Lodi, planted in May.

Aphids?

You have a damn nice crop of aphids on there! I've had good luck with Sevin on them.

time to spray,

Aphids. Good crop of those insect pests, too. Ant farm them for a secretion they give off (poo?). Ants will carry the aphid eggs to the top of the plant with the tenderest, most succulent young leaf where they will then hatch and devour your tree. Well, stunt its growth at least. :-)
They're more damaging to young small trees than large mature trees.

Can I spray sevin on them when they were just planted in May?

Sevin kills imported cabbageworm, cutworms, flea beetles, stink bugs, whiteflies, aphids and other listed lawn and garden insects. One gallon treats 8,000 sq. ft. of lawn and to use applied 4 fl. oz. of Sevin Concentrate per gallon of water.

Sevin (carbaryl) is not effective against many aphids so it is generally not a good choice for control unless recommended specifically. In fact, applications of Sevin may reduce the number of beneficial insects, such as lady beetles, and increase the potential for aphid outbreaks.

You can also kill the ants. Aphids don't climb trees by themselves too well.

So, there is 2 different types of sevin? I assume you mean I shouldn't spray this?

Attachments

• 20180822_194307.jpg
    20180822_194307.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 8
In years past I’ve battled aphids among other insects. This year I’ve been spraying Imidan and have had great success with it.

If your going to use a spray bottle, I know Bayer 3-1 insect disease and mite control is listed to kill aphids ... I grabbed a bottle once I started seeing ants on my grafted trees and a few curled leaves. If you have fruit on your trees you just have to be a bit selective of your chemicals

I'd spray sevin now, get some imidan

In future years, control them with plant diversity. In your tree rows plant some perrenial wildflowers, a small patch of buckwheat, some goldenrod. The more diversity you have, the more beneficial insects you will have.

The first year I planted fruit trees aphids attacked one of my pears. Now that I have more diversity, the ladybugs, hoverflies, lacewing, and parasitic wasps take care of them.

Excellent advice! ^^^^^^^^^^

Good call!