Plantings for Very Wet Areas...

r49740

5 year old buck +
I am curious if anyone has found some useful plantings to put in for areas that hold water. Not like a pond, but will definitely stay puddled up for a while being some low spots. I am going to start putting in some plants for birds(doves, pheasants, etc), so maybe some kind of cover? Anyone have anything that will do well with high moisture?

Chiwappa millet would be my preference - if you can get seed. Specialtyseed co. If not chiwappa, then Japanese millet. Both will grow in standing water as long as it doesn't inundate it.

Red Osier Dogwood.

Another thought...maybe figure out a way to manage the water first. I've got a lot of bottomground so have had a fair amount of experience making various places more productive by getting the water off through diversion.

Jap millet is what I use.

I am trying alsike clover in areas just like you described where it gets wet and stays wet just long enough to keep most things from doing much growing and stuff that survives is yellow with little growth(not productive). Just threw out 25lbs of alsike last week so I can't say it will work at this point. Alsike is supposed to be able to take standing water for up to 6 weeks. We'll see.

How about wetland alfalfa?

I am trying alsike clover in areas just like you described where it gets wet and stays wet just long enough to keep most things from doing much growing and stuff that survives is yellow with little growth(not productive). Just threw out 25lbs of alsike last week so I can't say it will work at this point. Alsike is supposed to be able to take standing water for up to 6 weeks. We'll see.

Glad I stumbled across this post. After reading up on the alsike clover I ordered some and I'm going to give it a try. Got the perfect area for it. Going to plant it next month.

rice.

willow

I've had great results with Alsike clover

Ladino clover. Sits under 4" of water for a month and will come flying out of it even before the water is gone.