Planting into Standing Corn.

GoldenTriangleIL

5 year old buck +
I acquired a new lease in west central Illinois and it appears I will need to plant food directly into standing corn, which I have never done. I'm considering buying the hopper that feeds seed directly into a blower to distribute the seed. I am looking for any feedback/experience on this method related not merely to distribution but plant selection and timing. I have have spoken to tenant farmer who doesn't have any objections to to any of the possible plant varieties I suggested. I won't be able to run soil tests but the land has been in perpetual ag (corn/beans) so it can't be that bad. I believe I have conducted a thorough search of this forum and web in general on this issue and there isn't as much information available as I thought there would be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If the corn will be picked for grain in November I don't really think there would be enough growing season left to have your plot to amount to much. Not much light hits the ground in a corn field, so your seeds will struggle to do much until the corn dies and is then picked. Then the combine will squish half of whatever grows and cover the other half with chopped up stalks and leaves!

It's worth a shot since you're not out anything other than a little time and seed, but I wouldn't expect it to amount to much. But hunting over a picked corn can be really good if it isn't plowed up in the fall, so you'll have decent hunting regardless (as long as it isn't all plowed up in the fall).

I'm not sure given the weather this year, but corn will often be out in September. My thought was to get it in a few days before harvest once the corn is dried out which would allow for light to hit the ground and combine damage would be minimal.

That seems really early - are they cutting the corn for sileage or picking it for grain? Around here in SE MN some of the farmers that cut corn for sileage in September plant winter rye on those fields as soon as the corn crop is off. It grows a couple inches in the fall, but that's about it. I'm sure they could get a couple inches of growth from a brassica as well.

I've never seen anyone planting a cover crop or food plot after grain harvest corn though since the growing season is pretty much over at the point that is harvested. Again, it's worth a shot though just to see how it does.

Appreciate the feedback. I will definitely keep this board apprised of my success or lack thereof.

What are you planning to plant?

Groundhog radishes seem to grow faster than most, so that's one option that comes to mind.

That seems really early - are they cutting the corn for sileage or picking it for grain? Around here in SE MN some of the farmers that cut corn for sileage in September plant winter rye on those fields as soon as the corn crop is off. It grows a couple inches in the fall, but that's about it. I'm sure they could get a couple inches of growth from a brassica as well.

I've never seen anyone planting a cover crop or food plot after grain harvest corn though since the growing season is pretty much over at the point that is harvested. Again, it's worth a shot though just to see how it does.

This year is an anomaly but it's not uncommon to have corn being combined in September in IL or MO. In fact I would say most farmers will for sure have started by the time Sept. is over.

It's a little late for turnips and such but I've had good luck with crimson clover and cereal grain mix on some of the earlier harvested corn fields. I would wait and spread the seed after harvest. I've tried doing it in standing corn and it just doesn't get distributed well, doesn't get any light, so you're really not gaining much if anything.

Blow some rape seed in there 2 weeks before he's angling to harvest. If it don't work, you'll only be out $30 for a couple acre try. Keep your blower low so you don't land some much in the stalk. Hold that blower above your head like John Cusack, and you'll be done in 4 minutes.

Brassica as soon as the corn starts to brown down. I've done oats and rye too.

I acquired a new lease in west central Illinois and it appears I will need to plant food directly into standing corn, which I have never done. I'm considering buying the hopper that feeds seed directly into a blower to distribute the seed. I am looking for any feedback/experience on this method related not merely to distribution but plant selection and timing. I have have spoken to tenant farmer who doesn't have any objections to to any of the possible plant varieties I suggested. I won't be able to run soil tests but the land has been in perpetual ag (corn/beans) so it can't be that bad. I believe I have conducted a thorough search of this forum and web in general on this issue and there isn't as much information available as I thought there would be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have to say i have never seen a reason to over seed into a corn or bean plot given their productivity and dropped seed. Deer relate to these areas because of the food offered as cold conditions approach when the crops are harvested. If you have enough warm conditions to plant & germinate seed, why will they stay when the combine season moves on to other properties?

I think what will end up happening, is where you over seed, you will hunt. Activity, pressure, limited stand adjustment ... you may spook the does before rut then ... well that story writes itself. You already have the best foodplot, go ahead and spend some time walking up and down the rows putting your presence and scent out there.

Remember, there is a difference between best seed choice and hunting advice :emoji_wink:

Brassica as soon as the corn starts to brown down. I've done oats and rye too.

I have done this also and it is worth a try depending on timing. Also think of areas with lots of deer damage and corn may not be as thick. Sweeten the area they are already coming to so you extend that pattern. Another thing to think about is how long any herbicides are active in the soil.

I have walked every couple rows with a spinning seeder. Not the best results but cheap experiment if you want brassicas otherwise seed rye behind the combine.

I have to say i have never seen a reason to over seed into a corn or bean plot given their productivity and dropped seed. Deer relate to these areas because of the food offered as cold conditions approach when the crops are harvested. If you have enough warm conditions to plant & germinate seed, why will they stay when the combine season moves on to other properties?

I think what will end up happening, is where you over seed, you will hunt. Activity, pressure, limited stand adjustment ... you may spook the does before rut then ... well that story writes itself. You already have the best foodplot, go ahead and spend some time walking up and down the rows putting your presence and scent out there.

Remember, there is a difference between best seed choice and hunting advice :emoji_wink:

We will have warm enough conditions to plant rye. The thought is that the deer will stay because I will have something fresh and green growing in our fields while everyone else has cut corn (which I will also have) and standing beans (what I wish I had). The last two years the majority of wasted corn has germinated and started growing by the second week of October. Farmers with modern equipment don't leave that much behind anymore. I agree on the pressure observation, but I would gamble with an hour of blowing seed over the standing corn, less obtrusive than running a combine through it. The farm is 240 acres and their are only two of us hunting and we have another 110 we can hunt so pressure shouldn't be too bad. My original intent was to pay the tenant farmer to leave some standing corn, but his asking price is too high imo.

You can also have the seed flown on. I did this a couple years ago. Of course we got little to rain after that so I got a really poor stand.

I'd go for it. Brassicas grow fast and the combine is only going to ruin whatever the wheels drive over. Unless he harvests with a 2 row head you arent going to loose that much. Plant them early August and see what happens. Plant Rye mid to late august with Crimson Clover.

I'd also add lentils

My opinion is to plant cereal grains, brassica and maybe an annual legume/clover in late summer early fall. Plant by walking every 2nd or 3rd row in your area of interest and use a hand held or chest type spreader. It's not ideal but it will work to some extent as well. The "green" may not hold the deer....especially in heavy ag country. I see deer picking over a month old harvested field before they will come to a green plot. It's just a matter of the preference of the deer and what they have been exposed to. My deer took over 5 years before they showed any realistic interest in turnips. Start small and see what works for you and the deer and your situation. Good luck.

My deer took over 5 years before they showed any realistic interest in turnips.

Mine have yet to show an interest in any brassica

i plant them for soil health(nutrient scavenge,compaction release,etc) and because my family loves them with cornbread

bill

I broadcast brassicas into standing corn first week of August and it turns out great, been doing it for years. First good hard frost or freeze and it's on...deer are in it.
It is important ground isn't fall plowed or sprayed.

I would be interested to see how your plants do with the chaff from the combine. Most of us plant in corn and leave the corn stand so it's not an issue....

Ive doen winter rye in standing corn a few weeks before it is cut, and a week after it is cut you can see the green through the chaff, and the deer find it quick!
it has to be the toughest seeding to do, 16 inch rows with corn on 6 inch space at least 10 feet tall, end up with some nice scratches and slices from the edges of the leaves.