All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pin Oak Seedings: Need Protecting?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I am thinking about planting some Pin Oak seedlings and was curious if they would need to be caged? Thanks.

Victor

I am thinking about planting some Pin Oak seedlings and was curious if they would need to be caged? Thanks.

Victor
I protect all the oaks I plant if it's not deer it's rabbits and voles that get me. I use tree tubes for my oaks but I believe cages with window screen around the trunk would work also work.

I would say yes to all oaks

Ours get browsed or rubbed if not protected.
I would protect them.

Depends if your planting them as trees or food plots.. if trees I vote for tubes

Thanks for the replies. If they need protected, I will more than likely not plant them. I would be planting many of them and would have a ton of money in cages and/or tubes.

I usually buy trees from MDC and they are $ .32 - .40 cents apiece so I tube some and plant some with no protection. The way I look at it is for this price I can afford to give them a try on their own. When I plant them with no protection I try to find some dead falls or tree tops will give them some protection.

https://mdc6.mdc.mo.gov/Applications/TreeSeedling/

MDC was where I was going to buy them as well. I have a shipment of white pine and holly trees from them set to arrive in about a month. I still may buy 25 and plant them sporadically around the downed tree tops (recently logged) like you mentioned.

We put in a few hundred pin oak last year in the shrub strips, they were all 12"-18". Got them in right before a nice rain and ended up with maybe a 95% success rate and all of them doubled in sized and have branched nice. They are planted into some young native grasses and weeds that help hide them some.
We didn't protect any of them, the deer have nipped a few at the tops so they could end up more bushy than the others but I'm fine with that. It wasn't practical for us to try and protect them with the volume of trees we put out last spring.

We put in a few hundred pin oak last year in the shrub strips, they were all 12"-18". Got them in right before a nice rain and ended up with maybe a 95% success rate and all of them doubled in sized and have branched nice. They are planted into some young native grasses and weeds that help hide them some.
We didn't protect any of them, the deer have nipped a few at the tops so they could end up more bushy than the others but I'm fine with that. It wasn't practical for us to try and protect them with the volume of trees we put out last spring.

Thanks for that info. That pushes me more toward ordering a few.

Well, MDC is sold out. Should have just ordered them last week.

Well, MDC is sold out. Should have just ordered them last week.
I was just on MDC's website and they have Pin oaks available again.

Thanks!