Pears trunk splitting

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I have 3 pears in my yard that I planted 4 years ago or so. I moved them 2 years back when we moved and I didn't have the heart to leave them at my other house.
They take off in the spring then seem to fry. Lose a lot of leaves and I've noticed a couple of them are splitting vertically on the trunk. I had buds on them last year, but nothing came. I'd figured they'd be much bigger and running by now. They get a lot of birds messing with them and I have really, really heavy clay. They're in full sun on a south facing slope.

Haven't sprayed them with anything, but I see my buddies' pears and in 4-5 years they have big trees that are throwing a lot of fruit.

Side Note- I also have a black star cherry that goes wild in the spring, but then the bark flakes and the leaves thin out. The guy I got the trees from said in heavy clay I'm fighting a losing battle with the cherry trees.

I can get some pics if you guys want them, but really figured they pears at the very least would have started shooting. They just seem stunted. Any tips?

Stone fruit doesnt typically do well in heavy clay soils. Hard to say on the pears, pear growth seems to be erratic to me at times as well.