All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passing of my outdoor mentor

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Early this afternoon my remaining grandfather passed away. He was 95 years young and a WWII vet. He was a good man, worked hard to provide for his family and was a great grandfather. He was the one who got me started in the outdoors, always made time to take his grandsons fishing and hunting. He was in good enough health for most of his years to even get to a few of my kid's ball games. I was able to see him a little over a week ago and he was in pretty rough shape then, but I was still able to get him to crack a smile on a couple of things I said. It is going to be hard to deal with the hole his departing will leave. Life is busy but make time for those who matter to you, because someday that opportunity will be gone.

Chris

Tipping one up in honor of your Grandpa Chris. I can tell by your description that he was a fine man. Hang in there brother and cherish the times you had together!

Chris, I know how you feel. I lived with my grandpa and grandma when I was a boy. My grandpa got me started fishing, rabbit and squirrel hunting. When he died I was devastated. He too was a WW2 vet and all around great guy. Remember the good times and pass on the outdoor tradition .

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss Chris. Your grandfather will be proudly watching over your hunts this fall.

My grandfather passed in 1978. He was the hunting patriarch in the family. I missed him terribly. About 1996 I was in a tree stand in early November. Just after sunrise. A very large flock of birds were flying south at low level. Suddenly they were all around me flying away from me and calling to one another. It was a very dizzying feeling as if I was the one moving and the birds were all sitting still. At that moment I thought of my grandfather and how he would have enjoyed that spectacle. At once it was as if he were there with me. They are not truly gone as long as your memory of them is there. Im sorry for your loss and your emptiness at his passing. "D"

Really sorry to hear that Chris. I think a lot of us got our start with their grandpaw.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that Chris! I lost my father when he has 54 years old. Be dam glad you had him around all those years to the ripe old age of 95! A WWII vet is a man of the greatest generation, I know, my father was one of them with the 504th Airborne.

Sorry for your loss!

Sorry for your loss TC.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Glad you got so much time with him. He will be still with you on many stands to come.

One of my mentors was a WWII vet also. He was a big man of stature. Nick named Tex in the war and it stuck. Lost him about 18 years ago. Proud to know that tough old coot. He loved the deer woods and the hunting cabin atmosphere. NEVER spoke of the war. I remember as teenage kid seeing bullet and knife scars when he changed his shirt and feeling small. As a dumb kid I once asked if the war ever affected him while holding a rifle and hunting. Answer was short. "Deer don't shoot back"

I think of him often while hunting. Though, he'd probably shake his head at my tactics today. In his day he hunted in jeans and an green army jacket. If it had bone on its head, it hit the ground. But that's the way it was then.

Can't say enough about that generation. Rough old guy accepted a 15 year old in camp, told him how and where to hunt and treated me like a person. Bet your grandfather had all those traits and more.

Chris,

My condolences. I'm getting to the age where I'm starting to see some of my mentors beginning to pass away as well. It is never easy, but when they have lived a long fruitful and rewarding life, sometimes they are ready. The best we can do to honor them is to carry their legacy in how we live our lives.

My best wishes for you family as they grieve the loss,

Jack

You are lucky to have had your grandfather around for that long of a time. I never knew either one of my grandfathers, they both died before I was born. May he rest in peace.

My condolences Chris. Sorry to hear that. My gramp meant the same to me and was also a WWII vet. Lost him 5 years ago. I carry his pocket knife with me every time I go hunting. I'd like to think he's with me still in some small way.

Chris, it was a great blessing for you to have him so long, but I know it is hard for you to lose him. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to hear of your loss, he'll be watching over you I'm sure.

Sorry for your loss TC. Remember the good times, and he will be with you always.

My grandfather was in WWII and I lost him in 1979 when I was 9 years old. He was 54. I pretty much lived with him and grandma from about 4 years old until right before he passed, as my mom and dad both worked night jobs with 45 minute commutes, so it was grandma and grandpa that I was with most of the time. He was in the 82nd Airborne Division - 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment. I have all of his medals and awards including his casket flag. They are my most prized possessions. He was awarded 3 Bronze Stars and I have a box of write-ups of his achievements. He also did not talk about the war and as someone mentioned above, I still remember the large scar in his back above his right cheek from the flak shrapnel, for which he received his first Purple Heart. He was a "Teddy Roosevelt" type, in that he spoke softly but his mere presence commanded respect from everyone around him. He made many folks smile and apparently lived up to his nickname "Happy". When he passed they had to have 2 separate viewings because of all the people that knew him. He had one visitation in Kenosha, WI, where he lived and worked his whole life after WWII, and one in Mauston, WI where he had planned to retire. When he passed, I thought I needed to be a tough little guy, because "Grandpa wouldn't want to see me cry", so I held back all those emotions for a very long time and I let no one know how I truly felt. Finally after a very long while and another tragic event in our family, I was able to let myself finally come to terms with it and cried for what seemed like 3 straight days. I remember hunting with him and we had a woods that we used to make deer drives in that he would always walk the same "spot" along a creek through that woods, he would tell me it was because the deer liked to follow the creek edge to get to the swamp to the south, and I always followed along behind him. After he passed, that became "my spot" to walk through that woods when we made drives there. Those are the memories we must never forget and those are the stories we tell around the campfire. To this day, everything I do in my life, I try to model after what I think he would have done or how I think he would want me to do it.

sorry for you loss. he will always be there in your memories, i'm sure he will still be looking over your shoulder from the deer stand this fall.

Guys thanks for your words of support and condolences.

Mine passed 2 years ago in June. Life is never the same but it does go on - as long as he lives in you and you pass along what he has taught you he is never gone.

Sorry for your loss Chris
I'm sure you will continue to make your granddad proud daily.
The thought of some of my roll models looking down on me makes me push myself to be a better man!
Those WW II vets are a special. Men among Men!
My Grandpop was among them as well. He died a couple years ago. He left a legacy with 12 kids. Lost count of how many grandkids
IMG_1079.PNG