Not what you want to find shed hunting

Calm down, David. I've shot three deer with a crossbow. One got away after bleeding like crazy for a quarter mile. Arrows just aren't that effective. That's why people switched to guns.
Lol, I'm as calm as can be Telemark, it's just obvious that you are inexperienced with arrows.

Actually... 22 caliber is legal in some states if it's center fire

Arrows are very deadly. Much to say but don't wana open doors to a xbow argument

Lol, I'm as calm as can be Telemark, it's just obvious that you are inexperienced with arrows.
As are many so called "bowhunters". Many take shots well beyond the weapons capability and their own capabilities. And when it goes bad they continue hunting and repeat. Give me the choice of crossing within 40 yards of a hunter armed with a bow or a hunter armed with a .30 caliber rifle and I'll take my chances against the bow hunter.

Just a matter of choice, and then becoming proficient. That's the key. Lots of sloppy shooters making bad decisions out there, regardless of weapon. A .22 will collapse a fat steer in the blink of an eye, but I still don't want to go deer hunting with one.

Sometimes deer just can't be recovered no matter what. Sh!t happens. You have a nice rack now. My opinion is to appreciate it and be glad you found it in nice condition. He surely passed on some genes at some point.

most deer that are wounded with a gun will die eventually. A bullet creates a devestating wound channel regardless of placement. Ill placed shots normally result in an infection that will kill the animal.

There aren’t many deer that people shoot that were shot the year before with gun. But there are deer that people shoot that were shot the year before with a bow. A deer has a better chance of survival from a poor archery shot than it does with a poor gun shot.

There are also a lot more gun hunters than bow hunters. So naturally there is probably more wounding of animals with a gun. Sorta is what it is, no ones to blame.

Calm down, David. I've shot three deer with a crossbow. One got away after bleeding like crazy for a quarter mile. Arrows just aren't that effective. That's why people switched to guns.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

I know. And it's an ancient tradition. But it has become problematic, and something needs to be done. I blame most of the problems on the asinine tv shows that act like it's ok to stop tracking a deer and leave it for the coyotes as long as you get the antlers. I still hunt with arrows, but I think there are a lot of people who shouldn't.

I know. And it's an ancient tradition. But it has become problematic, and something needs to be done. I blame most of the problems on the asinine tv shows that act like it's ok to stop tracking a deer and leave it for the coyotes as long as you get the antlers. I still hunt with arrows, but I think there are a lot of people who shouldn't.

There comes a time when tracking a deer a hunter has to make a decision on the shot and whether the animal needs “time” to expire. Sometimes that means leaving them over night. That’s a much better alternative than pushing a deer that isn’t going to die right away onto property which you may not have access too. Every situation is different.

There comes a time when tracking a deer a hunter has to make a decision on the shot and whether the animal needs “time” to expire. Sometimes that means leaving them over night. That’s a much better alternative than pushing a deer that isn’t going to die right away onto property which you may not have access too. Every situation is different.

Yes, I know. It has happened to me, once, a long time ago. My point is that the TV shows act like it's normal. Last time I watched whitetail shows, half of the deer shot with arrows were recovered the day after. It promotes the idea that the antlers are the only important part of a deer, and acquiring the antlers is worth losing the meat. I strongly disagree with this type of hunting. People take reckless shots and wound a lot of deer. Something should be done to reduce this problem.

Ah, so what do you think should be done about it?

Ah, so what do you think should be done about it?

I'm not sure. I'm leaning toward proficiency tests. All big game hunters do yearly proficiency tests in Norway. And Metro Parks archery hunters do yearly. proficiency tests as well. Seems to work well, but statistics from Metro Parks can be hard to get.

Changing the rules on tags might help as well. In some places, you give up your tag if you shoot an animal, whether or not you recover it.

I don't want to take away anyone's rights, but I think our wildlife should be taken more seriously. The current level of buffoonery on hunting shows is appalling. I'd like to see that change, but the 1st amendment limits how you regulate tv shows. Maybe the first step is to require all commercial and professional hunters to take an annual proficiency test, at 20, 30, and 40 yards, once at ground level, and once at 15 feet above the ground.

If you hit the deer too far back, waiting until the next day is normal. That doesn't necessarily mean the meat will be spoiled. You have a better chance eating venison with that plan than looking for a gut shot deer immediately and bumping it.

I do agree there are plenty of people hunting who have no business being in the woods.

That buck was going to die someday, be if from EHD, a bow wound, gun wound, coyote, or just plain old age. Deer, like cats, seem to find lots of ways to die. Regardless of cause of death, I think you're lucky finding the this deer period.