Need a trail cam recommendation.

Mark

Yearling... With promise
I recently discovered my cell carrier (project fi) will send me unlimited data only micro sim cards for free that will just add any data used to my existing plan.

I need someone to recommend a camera that will send emailed pictures ( not texts) and preferably has some sort of solar hookup since I seldom make it to the farm.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried spypoint cameras? Are they worth the money? And what are the cell network options on the setup menu if you own one. It is the first one I have seen that looks compatible, but their website leaves a little to be desired in the technical detail department.

I have read alot of good things about the Spartan Go Cam.

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=43720
Thanks for the link, I'm not sure it will work the way I am hoping though, but informative nonetheless as i am fairly ignorant about trail cam options.

The Spartan Go Cam only sends pics to an email address.
I'm not familiar with project fi.

Last edited:
The Spartan Go Cam only sends pics an email address.
I'm not familiar with project fi.
It is cell service done by Google. It uses T-Mobile, sprint, and us cellular network simultaneously. It is also really cheap. The advantage I see, is I've always been too cheap to get cell enabled trail cams not only because of the upfront cost, but because of the monthly fee. If I can eliminate that monthly fee, I would be more willing.

It is cell service done by Google. It uses T-Mobile, sprint, and us cellular network simultaneously. It is also really cheap. The advantage I see, is I've always been too cheap to get cell enabled trail cams not only because of the upfront cost, but because of the monthly fee. If I can eliminate that monthly fee, I would be more willing.

Ok. The Spartan is only Verizon or ATT.
Maybe the Buckeye cam sysytem? Jack or Bill would be the ones that have experince with those cams.

Ok. The Spartan is only Verizon or ATT.
Maybe the Buckeye cam sysytem? Jack or Bill would be the ones that have experince with those cams.
Thanks, all this helps point me in the right direction.

I have the Coverts, work awesome and can hook up to solar if you wish. ATT.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Mark, here's the link for the Go Cams. Not sure if you looked at their website.

http://www.hcooutdoors.com/products/spartan-gocam.html
Thanks, I like what I see. I sent them an email about network comparability. This is very new to market network stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if most trail camera companies didn't design their products with enough flexibility to incorporate it.

The buckeye system looked very promising, just wish their actual cameras were a higher resolution for the price they are asking. It might be that I am just too cheap to go this route right now, but I'm keeping my hopes up. Thanks again for all the great info so far.

One thing to keep in mind is a lot of these camera use software to obtain their highest resolution. For example a camera may have 5 megapixel and 8 megapixel settings, but the sensor is only a 5 megapixel sensor and they use software to calculate the missing pixels to get to 8. Unfortunately I don't think they advertise what the sensor is.

Found an article on it
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/bi...eras-more-megapixels-don’t-mean-better-photos

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is a lot of these camera use software to obtain their highest resolution. For example a camera may have 5 megapixel and 8 megapixel settings, but the sensor is only a 5 megapixel sensor and they use software to calculate the missing pixels to get to 8. Unfortunately I don't think they advertise what the sensor is.

Found an article on it
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/bi...eras-more-megapixels-don’t-mean-better-photos
I did not realize this. Thanks.

For those of you following along and just curious here is spypoints reply to my question:

Thank you for inquiring about SPYPOINT products. Our cameras currently operate with Truphone SIM cards, that use towers from AT&T for coverage. Sadly, none of our cameras are compatible with project fi data only SIM cards.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further questions.

Thank you and have a great day,

Sincerely,

Pierre-Luc Mercier

Do you have any future plans to offer the capability to use other data networks such as project fi.

Hi Mark,

We’re looking to integrate this technology in our future products, but that would be only for 2017 or 2018 models.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Pierre-Luc Mercier

I bought a Spypoint MMS camera, but could not get it to work on Verizon though it was supposed to. I have their Force 10 and Force 11D cameras and am happy but they are standard trail cams not cellular. The MMS is best with ATT I was told. I sent the Spypoint back and had them ship me 3 Force 11D's in return. Their tech support is very responsive.