Navigating tall grass (and water)

John-W-WI

Administrator
To access one of our stands, we have to cross about 100 yards of tall grass and beaver dams. There are very few trees, and if you take the wrong way you might get very wet.

So this year we decided to try these:

59e70f089d7c257f85b0144288ff3a0d.jpg

I haven't tried them in the dark yet, but I think this is a good solution to a simple problem. Time will tell.

John

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can you mow a trail? Eliminates noise and scent.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

To access one of our stands, we have to cross about 100 yards of tall grass and beaver dams. There are very few trees, and if you take the wrong way you might get very wet.

So this year we decided to try these:

59e70f089d7c257f85b0144288ff3a0d.jpg

I haven't tried them in the dark yet, but I think this is a good solution to a simple problem. Time will tell.

John

John ... welcome to 50% 0f my property ... in spring, before the thaw, you can usually find the dryer trails the deer walk. maybe you have done that ... always interesting to get into an area where people can't, but deer do ...

Can you mow a trail? Eliminates noise and scent.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wish I could. There is 100 years of beaver dams buried in that grass. At one point, you are walking on grass and listening to the water run under your feet ;) Pretty freaky an hour before daylight (I did it last year without the fancy orange stakes)

John ... welcome to 50% of my property ... in spring, before the thaw, you can usually find the dryer trails the deer walk. maybe you have done that ... always interesting to get into an area where people can't, but deer do ...

Yep, this area is extremely difficult to access. About 3/4 of a mile walk and a good portion of that is across a swamp not meant for man to cross. We have put pallets in the wettest areas twice. The first layer sunk into the swamp. The second layer seems to be holding. We'll see if we need to add another layer next year :)

-John

? Maybe tie a small cross branch on the stakes to let the birds rest and poop. In a few years you may have a few natural islands of brush to walk through. The brush should hold the ground better and allow for more solid walking.

? Maybe tie a small cross branch on the stakes to let the birds rest and poop. In a few years you may have a few natural islands of brush to walk through. The brush should hold the ground better and allow for more solid walking.
Does that work?!

I'm thinking a perfect spot for a zip line. That would add a little adventure to the hunt;)

Does that work?!
There is a reason fence lines have lots of brush. The birds are always working for us.

That's a great idea.