My first e-fenced foodplot experience

don

5 year old buck +
And what a difference it makes ! 6 acres surrounded by solar energized Polytape outer strand and 2 Polywire inner strands. Parmack 6 volt solar charger keeps the fence voltage up to snuff and so far over 95% effective, imo. The forage beans, soys, and corn have now grown to nearly twice their size since these pictures were taken.
STC_0060.jpg

STC_0120.jpg

STC_0100.jpg

STC_0079%201.jpg

Looks good!

Reactions: don
And what a difference it makes ! 6 acres surrounded by solar energized Polytape outer strand and 2 Polywire inner strands. Parmack 6 volt solar charger keeps the fence voltage up to snuff and so far over 95% effective, imo. The forage beans, soys, and corn have now grown to nearly twice their size since these pictures were taken.
STC_0060.jpg

STC_0120.jpg

STC_0100.jpg

STC_0079%201.jpg
Are you sure the fact your field is 6 acres isn't why its surviving just fine? I heard 2acres + is all you need for soy and corn to assure it will last through hunting season.

Are you sure the fact your field is 6 acres isn't why its surviving just fine? I heard 2acres + is all you need for soy and corn to assure it will last through hunting season.

It really depends on your location, deer densities, and other food available during establishment. I had to get north of 5 acres with RR forage beans in my area for them to canopy. Folks around here proximate to commercial bean and corn fields don't have the issue at all. Every situation is different.

Thanks,

Jack

my beans are enjoying the e protection as well, without which I never had beans this big. I am able to take the fence down now as most of the field is about 30 inches tall. and canopied. I am going to force myself to take the extra time to wrap up the e tape well, and store for next year. Never had beans before taller than 9 inches before they were wiped out. tried cow peas, soybeans, forage beans.. nothing survived in the same plot as these did. of course on all I made sure to do a damp stick for the innoculant to give them all a chance. I'll have to get pics, nice purple flowers, showing the higher tannin variety than a white flower would have, more sought after by deer.

Two acres, even twice that many wouldn't stand a chance in an un-electrified fenced situation here, ask me how I know, lol.
Last year the same 6 acres was planted at the same time, under similar conditions and with the same brand soys and corn. The only difference was the fence, there was none.
Not a single corn plant survived to reach two feet, the tops were eaten out well before that. The soys were a joke as well, 4-5 inches and with no flowering thus no pods.
We have a very sizable deer herd, the DNR estimates 30-35 per square mile and growing. There are other ag crops in the area and most of the farmers apply for and are granted numerous crop deer damage permits, pretty much no questions asked.
The difference is indeed the e-fence hooked up to the solar charger, 100% guaranteed. Without it we would be in the same boat as last year when they pulled most everything up by the roots as soon as it emerged.
The corn is now chin high and the just today, 7/29, purple flowering forage beans and soys close to 18 inches despite no rain since those pictures were taken.
More importantly, no breaches to the fence. The only thing eating the leaves is the Jap beetles but they will be gone long before any damage is done.
Do they want to be in there ? Absolutely !! They love the clover planted between the camera and the fence, but you can tell their thoughts by the video.
If you click on the word vimeo you can enlarge the viewing screen.

Last edited:
So do you need an inner and outer? This year I soil tested, limed, fertilized, irrigated, bought a tractor and planted with a firminator. The only thing that survived past 3-4 inches without being eaten was the buckwheat and radishes. They made it to 12. I kept finding hog crap and prints in the fields, but no sign of deer. No cameras set up. When I had someone sit out to hog hunt one evening, he said 4 doe and 2 fawns came and swept through the plot he was on. No pigs. My buddy slipped into the property yesterday morning at 6 am after seeing 4 cross the road coming in to my place. He slow stalked 80 of the 125 acres. Saw 13 doe and 6 bucks, all bedding. I have a total of 125 acres and about 4 acres in plots. That equates to a density of 95 deer per square mile. Maybe it ain't pigs after all! 40 acres in wetland, and I've been seeing a lot of tracks in there. E fence is next on the list.

Yes. The outer strand is generally PolyTape for visibility purposes. I put mine about 20 inches high and twisted it so it would catch the wind and flutter.
The inner strands are both polywire, the lower strand about 12-14 inches and the upper about 30 inches, all are electrified to around 5000-7000 volts.
There is something about the two row, staggered fence that confuses them. Surely they could jump all easily but they have trouble judging the distance and it is very, very effective.

So do you need an inner and outer? This year I soil tested, limed, fertilized, irrigated, bought a tractor and planted with a firminator. The only thing that survived past 3-4 inches without being eaten was the buckwheat and radishes. They made it to 12. I kept finding hog crap and prints in the fields, but no sign of deer. No cameras set up. When I had someone sit out to hog hunt one evening, he said 4 doe and 2 fawns came and swept through the plot he was on. No pigs. My buddy slipped into the property yesterday morning at 6 am after seeing 4 cross the road coming in to my place. He slow stalked 80 of the 125 acres. Saw 13 doe and 6 bucks, all bedding. I have a total of 125 acres and about 4 acres in plots. That equates to a density of 95 deer per square mile. Maybe it ain't pigs after all! 40 acres in wetland, and I've been seeing a lot of tracks in there. E fence is next on the list.

Look up a Gallagher-style fence. It is a three dimensional design that is fairly inexpensive (as e fences go) and quite effective. It relies on psychological factors to prevent jumping and physical ones to prevent crawling through. There are other threads that discuss the details of how it works.

Thanks,

Jack

Mikmaze, you need to be careful when you take the fence down. Our first year with the e-fence we had great results. 2 acres of lush tall beans, not quite waist high, with a lot of beans hanging. We decided that we were far enough ahead of the deer that we could take it down. That was August 25th. 10 days later we had nothing but bare stalks about 10 inches high. Not a bean nor leaf in sight! I couldn't believe it!

Mikmaze, you need to be careful when you take the fence down. Our first year with the e-fence we had great results. 2 acres of lush tall beans, not quite waist high, with a lot of beans hanging. We decided that we were far enough ahead of the deer that we could take it down. That was August 25th. 10 days later we had nothing but bare stalks about 10 inches high. Not a bean nor leaf in sight! I couldn't believe it!
I was thinking that could happen. Certainly the only reason to get good growth is to allow the plants to withstand the grazing. I think, because of the lack of obvious immediate food sources around my place that they will destroy everything no matter what. Working on early succession stuff to help take away the burden from the plots, but that takes time.

Once the outside rows of forage beans are well established, 3-4 ft tall and canopied, I will reset all of my posts to protect the soys and corn growing between the outer rows of forage beans. The re-positioned e-fence will remain in place until just before Oct 1st, our bow season opener. I will re-position the e-fence one more time in mid
September to protect the soys so some remain for our Nov 15th rifle opener.
I will also be broadcasting winter wheat seed at the same time to provide some green thru the winter/spring period at which time it will be terminated in preparation for the next crop. Just before Nov 15th the poly tape/poly wire will be re-spooled, fiberglass stakes removed, and put in storage. I will hook the charger up to it’s own dedicated charger and it will be stored in the basement.

Last edited:
I was thinking that could happen. Certainly the only reason to get good growth is to allow the plants to withstand the grazing. I think, because of the lack of obvious immediate food sources around my place that they will destroy everything no matter what. Working on early succession stuff to help take away the burden from the plots, but that takes time.

For folks in the south, using RR Forage Beans can really help with this. Once established and they get ahead of the deer, it is very hard for deer to kill them. One year, I planted a few acres without protection. The deer kept the beans naked all summer but could not kill them. Once I reached the tipping point in acreage for my deer browse pressure, the deer could not keep up with them and I had to bushhog lanes through them for a fall plant. Here is a thread with pics: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...d-corn-field-transfered-from-qdma-forum.5543/

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: don