My elevator bracket experience

How much life insurance has your wife taken out on you? :)

this I can tell you will crumble. I wouldn't go up in this for NOTHING!!! 20ft 4x4 that is not structural span and it's literally just stud lumber. I am thinking this is under 600 pounds of strength. I will bet anything that there is a crack someplace on those 4x4's. I would highly advise that you seek someone with construction and engineering experience to do some weight bearing calculations on this structure. I am saying these things to help you. that is it. I really feel that this is not safe.

We replaced the broken 4x4 leg yesterday. Also installed a couple 40" earth anchors and cable supports.

dd91085715f29b9b154cd71a69b99f91.jpg

eef244d3124f1b754229abbda05d4895.jpg

72c818b746d798c8b1cd95f7ea54e952.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

We got the plywood floor and the blind itself installed yesterday. Guess we are part of the amateur crew mentioned in another thread.

Last edited:
Is that a Guidesman brand blind from Menards? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I'm eyeballing the larger one for next year.

Is that a Guidesman brand blind from Menards? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I'm eyeballing the larger one for next year.
It is the pentagon one from Menards. Very roomy inside. I've never stepped foot in anything like it so I don't know how it compares to others. Some of the window latches are a tight fit right now. They may be adjustable, I didn't take the time to look yet.

It is the pentagon one from Menards. Very roomy inside. I've never stepped foot in anything like it so I don't know how it compares to others. Some of the window latches are a tight fit right now. They may be adjustable, I didn't take the time to look yet.

I have a couple Pentagons also, how did you like assembling it? I tried to put it together myself and no way, needed the wife's help ...o_O

I went ahead and caulked the base to the wood platform to keep rain water from seeping in and used spray foam to fill any gaps inside to keep the bugs & bees out.

I have a couple Pentagons also, how did you like assembling it? I tried to put it together myself and no way, needed the wife's help ...o_O

I went ahead and caulked the base to the wood platform to keep rain water from seeping in and used spray foam to fill any gaps inside to keep the bugs & bees out.
I'm sure glad I had a friend with me. No way I could have done it myself, especially 12' in the air standing on the edge of the platform. I like the caulking and spray foam idea. Might have to consider that next year.

Right now it's only secured to the 3/4" plywood floor with 10 wood screws, 2 on the bottom of each side panel. We are thinking of running a 1"x2" along the bottom of each side panel and then running bolts/nuts through the 1"x2", the bottom of the blind, and the plywood floor. Maybe overkill but we get some nasty winds from thunderstorms every year.

I used 3" lag screws to fasten mine to the floor. The holes in the bottom of the side panels worked perfect.
Did you hit any joists or just the plywood?

Thanks for that info. I'm wanting a blind for me and my two young boys (6 & 9) and the price of these has me considering them vs. building one. Because of their activities, I'm usually short on time and this looks like a good alternative. Right now we all squeeze into a ground blind, but I'd like something more permanent in one certain spot. I'd probably elevate it, but not as high as you, and would only need to get it 4' off the ground to get around the orange requirement here.

Thanks for that info. I'm wanting a blind for me and my two young boys (6 & 9) and the price of these has me considering them vs. building one. Because of their activities, I'm usually short on time and this looks like a good alternative. Right now we all squeeze into a ground blind, but I'd like something more permanent in one certain spot. I'd probably elevate it, but not as high as you, and would only need to get it 4' off the ground to get around the orange requirement here.
I only went up that high because Pop's insisted on it. He originally wanted to go with 16' 4x4's :eek:. I personally would've used 8's or 10's but now that it's up I must admit that 12' is nice.

You will love having a landing on this one.

Some have asked about these stands and the wind. On opening weekend we had constant west winds of 30 mph with regular gusts to 40 mph. Both of these stands were fully exposed to the west winds and held very well. The double clips on the windows kept them from rattling. The 1st is the pentagon and the 2nd is the 4x4.

IMG_20161002_141103.jpg

IMG_20160924_162953.jpg

How are the sight lines and window height in those things? Seem very huntable?

1st time poster. Lots of good information here. Thought I would share my experience with elevator brackets. My platform was 6' X 6' Built with 2 x 6 frame. I actually used 2 x 4 stringers. 3/4 ply wood floor. I insulated the floor cavity and covered the bottom with 1/2" plywood. All material was treated. The platform was quite heavy in the end. Part of the reason I used the 2 x 4 stringers was it allowed the bottom to be inset so the elevators had a place to sit. I used 16' 4x4 posts as I wanted it pretty high. I also did cross members. One thing I did that maybe different from what I've seen posted was I also boxed out the bottom. This IMO added quite a bit of strength. Then to lift it in place I actually took a piece of Unistrut and tied it to the 2 elevator brackets so I was lifting steel on steel. The I put up a choker in a nearby tree to use as a block and tackle. Then I was actually lifting rather than pulling. It went pretty smooth and seems rock solid.IMG_1669 2.jpg

How are the sight lines and window height in those things? Seem very huntable?

Can't answer the question but where the heck you been all season?

You started the longest running thread around here and haven't posted to it all year. Welcome back.

Was at Menards. .all the hunting items are on discount. ...except the elevator brackets.

Can't answer the question but where the heck you been all season?

You started the longest running thread around here and haven't posted to it all year. Welcome back.

Been around. Just not posting a ton.