Mutsu apple???

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Anyone have any experience growing Mutsu apples? Lowe’s has them on sale for $6. At 75% off. Bought a wolf river, another Liberty and a Aryes pear

Last edited:
I had a dwarf Mutsu growing in my back yard in St. Louis county. It got sprayed occasionally and watered as needed. The apples were large and very good. It was growing next to an Ashmead's Kernal that has a reputation of some disease resistance. The Mutsu did better than the Ashmead in this situation. There was some rust but I don't remember any fireblight problems. We got 10 years of apples from it and it was still going strong when we moved. The Mutsu apple is also known as a Crispin apple.

I had a dwarf Mutsu growing in my back yard in St. Louis county. It got sprayed occasionally and watered as needed. The apples were large and very good. It was growing next to an Ashmead's Kernal that has a reputation of some disease resistance. The Mutsu did better than the Ashmead in this situation. There was some rust but I don't remember any fireblight problems. We got 10 years of apples from it and it was still going strong when we moved. The Mutsu apple is also known as a Crispin apple.

Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and bought one and planted today in home orchard.
We aren’t far from each other. I live in Jeff county. Grew up in Kimmswick and now live on 11 acres on outskirts of Festus. Lowe’s in Festus has a pile of Liberty apple trees for $6 if you need any!

The only thing better than a 6 dollar apple tree is a 5 dollar tree,,, that's a good deal, nice buy!

Mutzu/Crispin is a sister to the Shizuka apple. Very, very similar with the exception that the Shizuka ripens a few weeks earlier. Shizuka is susceptible to cedar apple rust, probably Mutzu is too.
At $6 a tree you should have bought them all!

Mutzu/Crispin is a sister to the Shizuka apple. Very, very similar with the exception that the Shizuka ripens a few weeks earlier. Shizuka is susceptible to cedar apple rust, probably Mutzu is too.
At $6 a tree you should have bought them all!
Thanks Prof Kent
I went back yest ev an bought another couple liberty and one more wolf river. The tag on the liberties says 10-20ft so i am assuming m7 or mm106? Tag on the wolf river says 20-30ft so i am assuming m111 or b118? Safe assumption you think?

Thanks Prof Kent
I went back yest ev an bought another couple liberty and one more wolf river. The tag on the liberties says 10-20ft so i am assuming m7 or mm106? Tag on the wolf river says 20-30ft so i am assuming m111 or b118? Safe assumption you think?

Well, a good assumption... but not a safe assumption!

Liberty is low vigor and Wolf River is high vigor. On the same rootstock, WR will be taller. But i doubt the nursery takes variety vigor into account on their labels. More likely they go by rootstock class as you suspect.

One thing you can see is color of the rootstock bark which can give some clues. If is not dark red/purplish brown, it is not B118. Lighter grey/brown bark might be M series. A medium size dwarf could be a Geneva but probably not used for big box trees unless a nursery was potting up surplus trees. Polish 18 is almost yellow/green brown but I've only seen trees on that from Cummins.