Lynx winter field peas, anyone try em?

No rain in 3 weeks or so now, not a lot of tall growth, but branched and about 7 inch long leaders heading in every direction, deer are browsing, but not aggressively. Big cornfield still drawing them in, but that field is 85% brown, and almost ready to be cut, when that happens it will take 2 weeks for the deer to hoover up dropped grains, and then lookout........ anything standing will get hammered.

plow shares are back, disc blades arrive tomrrow. bow the new shares look like they will do some work, laying on top of the black new share is the worn out share...
20160926_202502_zpsf22ywq5z.jpg

Something looks off on the one end of that share. Its angled wrong in the picture.

you have a valid point MO, but I bet it will still do the job just fine.

heading down to install the shares, and maybe put my new disc blades on as well, hope it isn't a mud fest down there.

Good luck.
If it's as wet up there as we are you won't get much done.
Im curious if your peas are gone. Like eaten gone.

peas are doing well, about 80 field coverage, about 6 inches tall, spreading like mad. Browsed but not eaten to the dirt.

got the new shares on, and pulled apart front axles on disc and swapped in the 4 new blades.

all sounds good, until you add in the fact that my water pump took a dump on the way in the gate. went 200k miles on the stocker, I'll be swapping a new one in there tomorrow. No pics today, not in the mood with the water pump blues.

Last edited:
It always something. At least at my place!

yes it is, but they are almost all results of decisions we make. Most of my tractor, implement, and truck troubles are age of equipment related. The truck I bought new, the tractor stuff is all well used. If I had the cash for newer stuff, I might have it, or more land, or more equipment. Fine line to what I can do. Spotted a 4 row planter in use it today shape for 1500, but I sure could use that 1500 towards repairing my pto.......

I have been planting the frost master winter peas for several years. I have always mixed them with my small grains. This year I planted some plots heavy with these to see how they would do as I normally do not see much use on them. These were planted in NC. I will take some pics when I go back in Nov.

Mik,

Lots of deer in the powerline plots last night as I was headed to the Farm.

sure they were, those overgrown field rats knew I was upstate.........

How the the peas end up looking this fall?

Milk,..

Any update on these since 2016 ?

I believe they have been bought out and re-branded under the name Icicle winter peas. I wasn't able to get my hands on any this past year because of the wet spring screwing up seed production. I can say that when I planted them two years ago the deer did hit them and they also over wintered one of the coldest winters I can remember. This past spring they grew tall and climbed the awnless barley. I was actually considering harvesting some seed from them but when I went back a couple of weeks later the deer had eaten every single pod and also the seed heads on the barley. I will be ordering them again.

I like the looks of these. I planted AWP last fall and they did well.

VV

The guy where I buy them says people also spring plant them. I am going to mix them in with my soybeans this spring.

I talked to my local seed guy and he is going to look into them. I will probably try spring planting them the first year and see how they do. Keeping the weeds out of them will be my biggest challenge.

VV

there was little to nothing left of them come spring sadly, that filed got ripped, flipped, and clovered........... doubt I'd try em again only because they did not do great for me.