Looking for Input on a Backyard Foodplot

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Hey guys...getting clobbered by a crazy Nor'easter today. Thought I'd start a thread asking for opinions. It's always good to "look before you leap." I've been kicking around an idea for a small destination plot for the past few years and wanted to seek some input before I move forward this spring.

Quick recap of my land...about 30 acres that borders both my MiL and BiL...beyond that hundreds of acres of lightly pressured, low deer density, State forest. No ag anywhere. No hard mast at all. Lots of browse, tons of cover, old fields, and wild apples that grow just about everywhere.

QDMA2_zpsce246811.jpg

I've been hunting the land now for 15 years and have spent the last two putting in some small 3/4 acre hidey hole food plots. You can see them circled in the pic below. Nowhere on my land can I squeeze in a food plot anything bigger than about an acre without bringing in some serious equipment...ledge, swamps, etc.

Foodplot_zps4drfcadw.jpg

The only place I could do a 3 acre plot easily that would provide a lot of food for deer is in my backyard. Beyond the barns and the kids' playsets is a 3 acre field that I mow twice a year. Wild clover volunteers easily. I have done small 10x10' test plots in the past and get can soy beans, buckwheat, birdsfoot trefoil, and clover to grow. Just wanted to reach out to see if 1) anybody has done something similar, and 2) if doing something like this presents challenges for deer hunting that I may want to avoid despite the obvious benefits. For example, you can see that all of my access trails to my stands go through this field. My concern would be blowing deer out of the field in the AM and upon my return at night.

Bow season opens mid October here in Mass., and by then most everything has gone dormant. I thought maybe a perennial clover/chicory/trefoil plot that would provide great summer forage but that would go dormant end of Sept. and not really attract too many deer into October and November.

Looking for any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

A few pics of the field...

IMG_3222_zpskquqlmpv.jpg

IMG_3221_zpsissxkh8u.jpg

All my plots basically surround my home and you are correct in your fears of blowing deer out during access to stands. I used to just walk out the door to the stands. It took a few years before I realized I was hurting my hunting. Now, I get in my truck and sometimes drive just 200 yards to park at a low impact access. It's a pain, but it's worth it.
If you can't park anywhere near your place, then screening is another choice if your layout allows it. Screening isn't really an option for me.
I love having plots around my home. I get to watch wildlife constantly.

W. Pa.

You could plant buckwheat in the spring and watch the deer feed on it most of the summer. I find as it matures usage drops to practically nothing. Roll it down over some broadcasted winter rye late September or early October and you should have a green field very early spring with very little growth in the fall as to not attract deer during that time. Spray rye Memorial Day and plant buckwheat again.

I havent built my home yet, but I have been setting the surroundings up so I can view wildlife 365 days of the year, rather then a week in November. Building plans going into effect in 3 years and counting.

Reactions: Tap
I havent built my home yet, but I have been setting the surroundings up so I can view wildlife 365 days of the year, rather then a week in November. Building plans going into effect in 3 years and counting.
Add lots of windows

W. Pa.

It will have glass all around :)

Thanks for the input gents. Makes perfect sense. My MiL's is actually just a short 3 minute walk down the road. I could easily access my stands from her place and avoid busting through my field.

Rye and buckwheat would all be doable. I'll have to research how to plant beans without a drill or a planter. Can they be broadcast?

I have 3 plus acres of clover with a little chicory surrounding our house. The deer are in year round, not as much in Jan thru Feb but when it snow hard they leave their tell tale sign of plowed up areas with their hooves getting to the clover. This is with plenty of standing soybeans or standing corn on the farm for them to eat. They are browsers and will eat a little clover or its remnants year round, more so in the spring through early fall.

It makes great viewing for mamma and their kids when they finally start taking them about and then the bucks start showing up in late summer. You'll love it.

Natty - You can broadcast soybeans. We've done that at my camp and they grow fine. We found out that not having enough beans planted was the cause of their early demise. Deer ate them to the ground. If you don't have many deer, it may not be a problem for you. We've had VERY good luck drawing deer with buckwheat. As others have said above, when the BW starts to get yellow and seed heads darken, you can over-seed winter rye into the BW and then roll it down after seeding. The BW will decay and add OM to the soil - the rye will provide late winter / early spring green food. As a side attraction - turkeys love BW. The seed heads draw turks and grouse at camp.

If you can plant a screen ( as Tap said above ) - or access your stands from another direction - I'd also plant some alsike clover and medium red clover, with some chicory mixed in. High protein chow that lactating does and fawns, as well as bucks will find VERY attractive.

Natty - You can broadcast soybeans. We've done that at my camp and they grow fine. We found out that not having enough beans planted was the cause of their early demise. Deer ate them to the ground. If you don't have many deer, it may not be a problem for you. We've had VERY good luck drawing deer with buckwheat. As others have said above, when the BW starts to get yellow and seed heads darken, you can over-seed winter rye into the BW and then roll it down after seeding. The BW will decay and add OM to the soil - the rye will provide late winter / early spring green food. As a side attraction - turkeys love BW. The seed heads draw turks and grouse at camp.

If you can plant a screen ( as Tap said above ) - or access your stands from another direction - I'd also plant some alsike clover and medium red clover, with some chicory mixed in. High protein chow that lactating does and fawns, as well as bucks will find VERY attractive.

Thanks for the great post Bowsnbucks! Good stuff.

Glad to be of some help, Natty. ^^^^^ I'm no long-term farmer / plotter, but I learned from guys on here ( Some no longer here ) and take notes and observe results. I'm just relaying what I've learned and had good results with. I hope you have a good spring & summer of planting.

Another vote for clover!

Living in North FL and with fairly acidic soil, crimson is a strong performer / draw on my place. Blessed to have found a place with LOTS of windows, even if it was in BAD shape when I found it (honestly a glorified crack house / roof, stucco, and every single window and door all replaced)... but sure provides some wonderful views!

Crimson (1024x791).jpg

View from the back of the house looking over portion of backyard... look REAL close and see that not only are deer in the pic but also a bobcat crossing the road down by the pond.

Deer in Crimson (1024x790).jpg

Good luck and can't wait to see backyard wildlife pics in the future!

Last edited:
I was at my brothers last week in North Florida near Crestview. The crimson clover there was thick in the ditches. Looked really cool with it all red by the highway. He was wondering what to plant at his place and it became real obvious once we saw that.

Chuck

Another vote for clover!
Good luck and can't wait to see backyard wildlife pics in the future!

Thanks bigbendmarine! Appreciate you taking the time to post. Beautiful pics! My backyard field is an acidic clay soil. I don't think Crimson Clover grows well in the north. I'll look at alsike and medium red.

Natty - Alsike and med. red worked well for us when we first started to plant plots, and we had pretty acidic soils when we first started. Alsike is known to be a " first-time " clover because of it's tolerance to acidic soils. Medium red is pretty tolerant of less-than-ideal conditions as well. I'd bet you'll do OK with those 2.

Natty - Alsike and med. red worked well for us when we first started to plant plots, and we had pretty acidic soils when we first started. Alsike is known to be a " first-time " clover because of it's tolerance to acidic soils. Medium red is pretty tolerant of less-than-ideal conditions as well. I'd bet you'll do OK with those 2.

Great. Thanks buddy. Looking forward to getting at it. Still got a foot of snow on the ground. But it won't be long now.....

Oh man, do we have some Farmall Cub work coming soon? :emoji_sunglasses:

SWEET!!!! Looks like it's set up real good for plowing.